Odds that my baby chicks have CRD

Gem1030

Hatching
Jun 13, 2017
So we bought 3 new little baby chicks from a trusted store that I've purchased from in the past. 2 days later I traded my silkie roosters (very sad, not allowed to have roosters) for 5 week old chicks....4 of them. I had all seven of them in a brooder together. This was on Sunday. Today (Tuesday) I noticed 2 of the older chicks had bubbling swollen eyes and sneezing. As soon as I noticed I separated the chicks. I have the 3 babies in a new clean space and the other 4 I gave back to the person I got them from. My question is what are the chances my new little babies contracted this disease? Will I know it? I have a strong healthy flock and I dont want to add these babies if they are now carrier's.

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Probably by the time you saw the symptoms, I'd say its more than likely that the other chicks could be infected. Personally, I would not take the chance - it's simply not worth it.

charles1980

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2016
Hello, what do you guys use to cure the chicks of CRD since the ban of water soluble antibiotics? Thanks

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Hello, what do you guys use to cure the chicks of CRD since the ban of water soluble antibiotics? Thanks
CRD, a term that sometimes is used for MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum, stands for chronic respiratory disease. Chronic means that the disease is never cured--the chicken has it, is a carrier for life, and although the symptoms may go away, they may return during a period of stress--during a molt, cold weather or other stresses.
Tylan 50 injectable may be used to treat symptoms. Dosage is 0.2ml per pound of weight given orally or by injection twice a day for 5 days. Tylan Soluble Powder may be obtained from a vet with a prescription, and is used in the drinking water. Take a look at the link in post #3 for symptoms and treatment of MG and other common respiratory diseases, such as coryza, ILT, and bronchitis. Flocks with MG should be closed--no birds in or out to control the disease.

Top Bottom