1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odds that my baby chicks have CRD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gem1030, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Gem1030

Gem1030 New Egg

Jun 13, 2017
    So we bought 3 new little baby chicks from a trusted store that I've purchased from in the past. 2 days later I traded my silkie roosters (very sad, not allowed to have roosters) for 5 week old chicks....4 of them. I had all seven of them in a brooder together. This was on Sunday. Today (Tuesday) I noticed 2 of the older chicks had bubbling swollen eyes and sneezing. As soon as I noticed I separated the chicks. I have the 3 babies in a new clean space and the other 4 I gave back to the person I got them from. My question is what are the chances my new little babies contracted this disease? Will I know it? I have a strong healthy flock and I dont want to add these babies if they are now carrier's.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Probably by the time you saw the symptoms, I'd say its more than likely that the other chicks could be infected. Personally, I would not take the chance - it's simply not worth it.

Gem1030 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Gem1030 :frowWelcome To BYC

I agree with @CTKen

Though some may disagree - I would consider the chicks to be exposed to respiratory illness, therefore, they would be carriers. "Most" respiratory illnesses are highly transmittable through contact, mucous (sneezing), discharges, dust, feathers, etc.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Gem1030 likes this.
  4. charles1980

charles1980 Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2016
    Hello, what do you guys use to cure the chicks of CRD since the ban of water soluble antibiotics? Thanks

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    CRD, a term that sometimes is used for MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum, stands for chronic respiratory disease. Chronic means that the disease is never cured--the chicken has it, is a carrier for life, and although the symptoms may go away, they may return during a period of stress--during a molt, cold weather or other stresses.
    Tylan 50 injectable may be used to treat symptoms. Dosage is 0.2ml per pound of weight given orally or by injection twice a day for 5 days. Tylan Soluble Powder may be obtained from a vet with a prescription, and is used in the drinking water. Take a look at the link in post #3 for symptoms and treatment of MG and other common respiratory diseases, such as coryza, ILT, and bronchitis. Flocks with MG should be closed--no birds in or out to control the disease.

6. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would cull them. Then only get day olds from a hatchery or hatch from your flock.

Good luck

Gary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by