odor in the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tmpshrty96, Aug 8, 2009.

1. tmpshrty96

tmpshrty96 Songster

Jul 24, 2009
    my chicks are just starting to hatch but it smells horrible in there. i think i left an infertile 1 in there but its not ctacked or anything. should it still smell this way??

2. camalianus

camalianus Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    No, probably you have a rotten egg almost ready to explode. [​IMG] Locate it before is too late and take it out of the incubator. Use a rag and gloves in case it explodes when handling. [​IMG] You do not want your newly babies contaminated with bacteria.

3. gafarmwomanPam

gafarmwomanPam In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Georgia
    I agree, there is a bad egg that needs removing(with your gloves on).
    We put a open box of baking soda in our incubator and helps with just the regular egg odor.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  4. tmpshrty96

tmpshrty96 Songster

Jul 24, 2009
    but i have chicks already hatching and im not suppose to open the incubator

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    If it's the styrofoam kind, it's much less harmful to your humidity and temps if you just open one of the little windows...be careful not to burn yourself on the heating element!

6. natchlaly

natchlaly Songster

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    i find the quickest way t detect which egg is rotting is to smell them individually. you will know which one it is straight away. I know that this method may sound strange but it works. During my friends last hatch she missed 1 and had that rotten egg smell going on sniffed all the eggs and knew which was the bad egg but she thought she could see movement and decided t give it a chance [​IMG] 2 days later it went bang leaving her with a massive clean up job and only 3 out of the 12 remaining eggs hatched:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: