OE Roo over Welsummer Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hippiehen, Jan 20, 2012.

1. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Hello wise ones :)

I have some welsummer hens who are laying gorgeous dark spray painted eggs and I would love to incubate some, sadly, no Wellie roo. :(

I do have an OE roo who's sisters lay dark russet colored eggs. Would that make for a suitable match to get chicks that lay dark eggs? Or does the OE's "mixed" background make it very iffy?

Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Does he have a straight comb or pea comb? A straight comb would give you brown eggs, but if he has a pea comb, you may get some brown some olive eggs in the offspring.

Since he is a mix, you cannot be sure until you test mate him as to what he will contribute genes wise.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  3. hippiehen

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Awesome information about the comb! I did not know that. He has a pea comb, so there's a possibility of olive eggs, which is cool since his OE sisters lay dark brown.

His parentage is EE x Cuckoo Maran, I should have said that in the first post. I didn't know if the "EE" in him would throw out a wonky gene.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you want the chance at olive eggs, keep any of the offspring with a pea comb.

5. hippiehen

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Thanks for the info! Now I just have to convince my DH that yes, my very pregnant self does indeed need to set eggs in the 'bator!

[​IMG] Maybe he won't notice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by