OEB stopped laying 7 wks ago.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickapooh23, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    OK, I have a very cute Old English Bantam Spangled hen. She is about 8 months old. She started laying the first week of Jan, same as all of the (younger) EE pullets. I was delighted because I know it can take up to 9 months for them to lay. She laid 2 eggs that week and then the temp drop to about a gazillion below and all hens stopped laying. OK that was fine.

All hens started laying again about a week or so later when it warmed up but my OE. Still nothing. Her comb is not red and has gotten smaller. Her fluff area is small. I checked her pelvic arch measurement and it is back to prelaying size.

I use lights to warm her up. I have no idea what else to do. I am not that interested in her eggs but was hoping that she might be my brood hen this year but I don't think a non-laying hen will go broody.

I have two sets of eggs in the bator but was hoping to give the job over to a hen and let them raise them naturally outside. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by