OEG Bantams and Buff Orpingtons in one coop for now.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ericbrbr, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ericbrbr

ericbrbr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Tennessee
    Hi there some advice please. I have lots of different OEG Bantams all seperated, but just purchased 1 Black OEG rooster and 4 hens, they are grown but still tiny. My coop will be divide half for my Buff Orpingtons and the other half will have seperate pens for my bantams all with there own runs as well as a large run for B. O. I just put my Black OEG in with the Buffs, I am very particular about not mixing, will the Buff roosters breed the Black OEG or vice versa? To see the size difference I dont see how its possible. Thanks, Eric.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The roos will try to mate any hen that submits. The BO roo can injure the bantams, so I wouldn't recommend mixing large roos with small breeds.

3. Small males do try to mount larger hens. They will do often kick at the hen to submit. they may even be able to insemenate the hens too. Large males my crush a banty hen. Where even the hen will have a flipped out ovaduct cause of the pressure of the large breed. This is just a word of caution. But it will halt vent pecking also for the smaller chooks.

Hope this helps..

4. ericbrbr

ericbrbr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Tennessee
    OK Thanks all, for the help. Sounds like I better just find me another temporary pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by