OEG but what variety? Brown/Red or Blue/Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChicksinFL, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Are these just aged Brown/Reds or Blue/Reds. They were sold to me as Brown/Reds that have won quite a bit but when I started going over the hens faults today with the ABA book with my daughter as this hen is going to be her showmanship bird since her's went broody I realized they have pink legs not black like the book says Brown/reds should. My other Brown/Red hens have black skin and beaks like the ABA books says they should so now I'm wondering what I have. I have heard cocks can loose plumage color over time but can they loose skin color and do hens do the same thing.

I don't have an age on the cock but I know the hen is approx. 4-5 yrs old the cock is probably close to that.

Thanks to all who take the time to look at this post..

[​IMG]
    Yes we know she's missing two points on her comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    black breasted reds

they arent brown/reds nor blue/reds

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  3. ChicksinFL

Aug 11, 2011
    Wow... okay going back to my ABA book now. Not sure what to do I guess the hen will be dq'd at fair because she's entered as a brown/red. UGH.. I so screwed up.

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    black breasted reds:

[​IMG][​IMG]

black breasted brown/reds
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. ChicksinFL

Aug 11, 2011
    Thank you.. those are pictures I found too of the black chested red. I wonder how the person we bought them from won if they were entering them as brown/red's.

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those pics are from cackle hatchery which has quite a few varities of oegb and then theres ideal poultry that has a very large varity but they dont have actual pics like those above but can give a general idea on what the chicken looks like

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    also if you look at leg color its also off to be brown/reds as those chickens have black/slate legs not the white legs that yours have as well

8. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Looks like BBR's to me! I own some myself that look like that. Of course I was beat by a CCL on this one [​IMG]

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    this is a blue breasted red to show you the blue coloring (your's are black [​IMG])

[​IMG]

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

u wont be dq'ed.i did something like that before. thell just cross the name off on ur card and wright the right name

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by