OEG, Dutch, or Mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cuban Longtails, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    In relation to this thread: Bantams: Dutch vs. OEG

Alrighty, I finally got a couple of good pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

He has a smidgen of white on his earlobes, not the full white that Dutch have. What'cha think? OEG or Dutch, or a mix?

2. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I would guess OEG. Alot of them have the white, but are not supposed to. There are alot of traits that birds have that they are not supposed to

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Sorry, I don't know.. but he sure is beautiful!

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Great looking bird, but I am going to say mix. OEGB are not supposed to have any white in their lobes, but then again, when they get to the shows they most usually have been dubbed, so you couldn't see it anyways.

5. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Thank you! He helps keep all my young standard roosters in line. [​IMG] I have one other just like him, they're about 3 years old.

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    He could very well be pure dutch. Alot of times, the cocks do not keep their white lobes due to other birds pecking at them, fighting so forth. All of mine are pure dutch, but, after being around other roosters, not one of them has pure white earlobes anymore. They all are about half red. Its the problem with white lobes, you have to keep them seperate or they stand the chance of losing the nice white.

7. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    WOW, don't have a clue what he is, except handsome! And you have TWO of them?

Mac

8. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have a black dutch roo and hen - my roo looks ALOT this except his face is white and his earlobes are more white -

Look up Spainish Dutch might be the breed you are looking for
    Good luck
    Julie

9. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Thank you! [​IMG] I have three of them, and another that has gold in his hackles (his dame is what I believe to be a bantam birchen OEG and his sire is one of the bantam black roos in question). They all free range, so it's hard to keep an actual count.

10. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Couldn't find anything on Spanish Dutch. My birds are probably just what happens when you get hatchery bred chicks. You get non-standard traits. [​IMG]

Edited to clarify a statement....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by