1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OEG genetics for Platinum, Pewter, and Opal

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pele, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hi all,

I've just recently gotten my interest piqued by mention of the genetics involved with the above colors in OEGs. However, I am trying to get some clarification of the breeding approaches and projects currently being used for these colors.

From what I understand, the Opal is a recessive dilution of the Lavendar gene, is this true? Also, I am intrigued with the Platinum and Pewter colors, these are also dilutions, but rather of the chocolate gene, right?

Please share your wonderful breadth of knowledge with me, as I will eventually be developing a breeding program of my own when I acquire a larger property in the next couple of years. I am also specifically interested in what kinds of chicks that are thrown while breeding for these colors, and which to retain to breed back.

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    I assume you are talking oegb, rather than oeg. Opal are from recessive whites. Platinum is and. blue crossed on dun, i haven't heard of pewter.

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Platinum is a cross of Blue and Dun, I am not aware of this in OEGB. But could be done...

Opal is not related to Lavendar in any way. It is a mutation of a few allelles associated with Recessive White. I can help you with this one..

Pewter... never heard of the color.

Unless you have history working with true project varieties i would not suggest Opal for any beginner. they are lacking a great deal in OE size and Type, feather quality etc. When the birds in teh breed pens are truly Opal and not the result of crosses, or a % Opal with decent phenotype they will breed true. Otherwise they will produce soem other odd things based on the other stuff in thier back ground. Sometimes this appears in eye color, leg color, lack of lacing in hackle saddle and wing bow, etc. crosses with birds with dark red hackles will modify the hackle saddle color as well.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Opal is believed to be an allele of recessive white, but its a different gene, its like how Dun I^D is an allele of dominant white I. and i+ is its recessive wild type counterpart.

Opal is only possible with two copies of Opal c^Op/c^Op. (Henk came up with the gene representation and I fully back him up. untill proven otherwise)

Platinum Blue is Blue Bl/bl and het Dun I^D mix together. that gives you a nice platinum look..
    I haven´t heard of Pewter

5. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Thanks for the information. I've been considering those colors for a project for a while, and I've been haunting various forums to try to get a good grasp on it.

One of the reasons I posted the questions here is that I trust the info I get on BYC, and some of the stuff I've been reading elsewhere was starting to sound suspicious (things like calling colors Pewter, which I hadn't heard of either).

I have experience with breeding other animals lines in the past, so it's always been a dream to try my hand at chickens once I was re-acquainted with their husbandry (used to care for them while growing up on a farm).

Any information you have to share is deeply appreciated. BYC is simply the best.

6. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:I can share a wealth of experience with the Opal, and for very few I do cut loose birds. But the number is very limited since I have been working to make them more OE for quite some time. made significant headway this year, and next year should be even better given the birds I have set asside.
    Do you have any experience with OE bantams? Do you show?

7. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:Opal is believed to be an allele of recessive white, but its a different gene, its like how Dun I^D is an allele of dominant white I. and i+ is its recessive wild type counterpart.

Opal is only possible with two copies of Opal c^Op/c^Op. (Henk came up with the gene representation and I fully back him up. untill proven otherwise)

Platinum Blue is Blue Bl/bl and het Dun I^D mix together. that gives you a nice platinum look..
    I haven´t heard of Pewter

Ya, i couldn't think of how to answer that properly at the moment, thanks.

8. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:I can share a wealth of experience with the Opal, and for very few I do cut loose birds. But the number is very limited since I have been working to make them more OE for quite some time. made significant headway this year, and next year should be even better given the birds I have set asside.

Oh wow, if I had a larger property, I would probably sell you my soul for some of your birds! Unfortunately I am still in the dreaming stage, and research stage. This will probably be something I will have to wait a couple of years to do. I have not raised OE bantams specifically, but I grew up helping my mother with her flock, and have raised other types of bantams personally.

I have actually shown animals in the past, but life has required a lot of moving recently, and I had to sadly abandon my projects in order to move into a small home with a smaller acreage when the economy turned bad. I refused to provide anything but the best for my animals, and re-homed them rather than subject them to overcrowding. Even if it broke my heart to give them away.

At any rate, I will definitely be hoarding away whatever pearls of wisdom that I can glean for now [​IMG]

9. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma

Oh wow, if I had a larger property, I would probably sell you my soul for some of your birds! Unfortunately I am still in the dreaming stage, and research stage. This will probably be something I will have to wait a couple of years to do. I have not raised OE bantams specifically, but I grew up helping my mother with her flock, and have raised other types of bantams personally.

I have actually shown animals in the past, but life has required a lot of moving recently, and I had to sadly abandon my projects in order to move into a small home with a smaller acreage when the economy turned bad. I refused to provide anything but the best for my animals, and re-homed them rather than subject them to overcrowding. Even if it broke my heart to give them away.

At any rate, I will definitely be hoarding away whatever pearls of wisdom that I can glean for now [​IMG]

I see you are from Boise, is that Boise Idaho? I havent been out there since 99. If you are comitted, and would show, and not let the birds go and continue to work towards the OE Type standard, I could share a pair or trio next year.

10. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    well I am intrigued. Would you post a pic of an opal? I do not raise game, just curious about the color [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by