1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OEG Hen's broody pen ready.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dave_Cash69, Feb 22, 2009.

1. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    i have her broody pen ready.
    it is a small old rabbit hutch, plenty of room mind you.
    she isnt broody yet, or hasnt shown signs of it

so can i put golfballs in the nest inside of the brood pen
    those of you with regular sized oeg hens, do they go broody easy, or what? would other fertile eggs in the nest make her set, or would it be safe to do golfballs..

DO NOTE, I STILL HAVE TO CATCH THE SLY LITTLE DEVIL AND PUT HER IN THE BROODY PEN, BUT ITS ALL SET UP FOR WHEN I GET UNLAZY ENOUGH TO CHASE HER, SHES FIT AND FAST.

2. dave_Cash69

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    annnnnyyybody?
    input is appreciated from those who might know, or first hand experiance.

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    you should probably wait for her to go broody on her own before moving her

4. dave_Cash69

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    im impaitent.. haha

5. dave_Cash69

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    anyone else?
    i love input

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    well your impatience will get worse when you realize changing her environment will stall her broodiness ( if she is planning on going broody at all)

7. dave_Cash69

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    ahh! i see.

8. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:Where is she laying now? Could you put golf balls into her nest and then move her to the brood box after she is broody? [​IMG]

9. computer_chicken

computer_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Eastern PA
    My Buff Rock (Rocky) went Broody last week, its still fairly cold here in eastern PA. Since all 4 hens (3 Buff Orphs) lay in the same nest it is kind of a problem - lower egg production since that one hen is always sitting in the box. I have no rooster so all eggs are unfertilized. A while back I constructed a second nest box but none of the hens would use it. Now I placed it back in the coup once again.
    My co worker has some chickens/with a rooster so I am going to use some of his eggs (5 of them-the colored ones from that breed).
    I placed the eggs in the unused nest box with an egg that I think Rocky laid. I picked her up and placed her to look at the eggs and then plopped her resting on them. So far she has not jumped ship - into the favorite nest box. Maybe the eggs will keep her content and away from distracting my other 3 girls from laying. My experiment has begun. With any luck there might be some hatched chicks in the future.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by