OEG or dutch bantams?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CascadiaRiver, Dec 12, 2014.

1. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    We have a oeg and her 'sister' looks very Dutch Bantam to me, her ear lobes are a very white pink so I cant tell if they are pink for OEG or a white for Dutch. I dobt she is a mix because we got her from a 4h breeder that knows his stuff, and I want to trust that what he gave us are some really different 'sisters' but I cant be for sure. Im going to ask them at the next meeting and such but I wanted a backup plan just in case, any ideas on what she might be?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What color are your birds' legs? A true Dutch bantam should have blue slate legs.

3. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Her legs are a pale pinkish white

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's an Old English Game.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  5. The Colonel

The Colonel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Middle TN
    Mottled OEGB, we have one that could be her twin.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    With white legs, she's definitely an Old English Game.

7. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    The guy that gave them to us told me she was a spangled, is she really a mottled?

8. The Colonel

The Colonel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Middle TN
    [​IMG] Here's our little Stripe. If I'm not mistaken it's mottled, I think spangled has more of a uniform look to the white.

9. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I think they are, or at least our little girl Star, is a spangled because as far as I can tell, mottled had a solid colour with white and Spangled has a lighter colour of the base colour around the white speckles.

10. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    Dutch Bantams have never been created in Mottled OR Spangled. White earlobes and blue legs do not make a Dutch, although they are first signals of the breed (except for Cuckoo Dutch and some Mille Fleur Dutch, which have Cuckoo in their background). Part white or odd shaped earlobes, are FLAGS of crossbred birds.
    It is a shame that the Dutch Bantams--such desireable pets, as well as Show birds--are so little studied by many folks who want them. There is lots of information available and membership in the Dutch Bantam Society can put one in touch with many breeders of TRUE Dutch. MOST varieties have strict rules for even crossing VARIETIES. For instance, Light Brown to Light Brown or to Blue Light Brown,. Others, just as strict rules to make breeding, exhibition and sale DUTCH

Would never breed a bird without a known background, for sale or exhibition, But ENJOY the birds anyway--and females make lovely broodies. GOOD LUCK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by