OEG Rooster with Large Fowl Leghorns, Will it work?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tony, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    This question has probably been answered a million times already on here, but I couldn`t find it, so I`m asking again. Can an Old English Game Roo successfully breed a standard/large fowl Leghorn hen? I`m talking about a leghorn in the 3-4 pound size range. Thanks, Tony

2. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I have OEGB's roosters with my LF hens, and it does work, sometimes. I got chicks from my yokohamas (which are a bit smaller than leghorns) and from my Lakenvelder (about the same size as leghorns). They will try, and most of the time it doesn't work, but occasionally it does. [​IMG]

3. Tony

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Ok, I`m happy with a "sometimes" and an "occasionally", it`s better than a "NOT!!!" lol.

4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    If the bird is a Large Fowl OEG then there should be no problem. If you are asking about a bantam OEGB then sometimes he'll make the mark and other times he won't.

5. Tony

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    What if I "trimmed/shortened" the feathers on the "mark". Would that help at all?

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I have an oeg LF roo in with my yard candy flock - he hits most of them just fine - the ones he doesn't hit on are ones he doesn't have any interest in (he is getting older, poor guy [​IMG] ) He does seem to like the younger girls the best, then once he's had them around awhile, he doesn't bother with them much. When he was younger, however, he did his job just fine.

Here's some pics for size comparison with the Black Australorps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eta - I have had chicks from the BA and the Game roo - so yeah, he can hit the mark with bigger girls.

meri

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i have 2 cochin roos in with my EE's to get feather legged EE's and an EE roo to try to keep the green egg color it works occasionally

8. Tony

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    So would trimming the "butt" feathers help at all or just make the chicken look strange for no beneficial reason?

9. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

No, I don't think trimming would do much good; the hens lower the butt fluff themselves

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by