OEG roosters as protection from Cooper's hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RKG1, Jul 11, 2016.

1. RKG1

RKG1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Butler county, PA
    Are they more likely than other breeds to protect their hens, or at least give warning? My current roosters (mille fleur d'uccle) are pretty lame for this duty. I'd like to free range my flock more.

Last week a coopers almost got a half grown chick, as I was standing literally 15 feet away. Didn't realize they can be so bold.

Any thoughts? Any difference in alertness and protectiveness between standard and bantam?

2. RKG1

RKG1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Butler county, PA
    I should add, I've never free ranged full time, nor do i plan to. I'm usually out with the chickens, and they're only out for a couple hours in the evening. But they scatter a bit, and i can't be everywhere at once

3. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    It doesn't depend on the breed so much as the individual personality of the bird. I can say, however, there are stories of american game cocks killing hawks. Those probably would be your best bet. As far as the bantam vs standard size fowl, a standard cock would provide more of a physical deterrent than a bantam cock. I heard a story from someone who used to free range their birds in with a giant production Red cockerel. Hawks just flew over the place, and didn't even want to bother taking a bird. In reality, an LGD would serve much better protection.

4. RKG1

RKG1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Butler county, PA
    Thanks for the reply.

I asked about bantam roosters because I have 2 coops, 1 for LF and 1 for bantams. I'd rather not put a big roo in with my banty hens, for obvious reasons.

A dog to guard them isn't practical for me. I have 3 dogs now (none of which I'd trust around chickens), and don't want a fourth one

5. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Bantams really wont do anything against a hawk. Even if they did have an attitude, they wouldn't get anywhere with it since they would be easily overpowered by a hawk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by