OEG X Cortunix

doxies1

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 16, 2010
West centeral Maryland
My wife just returned from the national chicken show where a fellow touted crossing OE with Cortunix to get meatier quail. How likely is that to happen. Has anyone heard of doing this or was the guy blowing smoke trying to sell OEG's. Which way would you cross,OEG cock to quail hen, or quail cock to OEG hen?
I'm sceptical that this cross is likely!
Doxies1-- (New to the forum)

Blowing Smoke.

Do you have a Science Lab handy to work in? A lot of money for the studies, a lot of patience and resistance to failure.
Scientic studies are known to have been done with crossing Chickens and Coturnix with a little success in Scientific Labratories. They are crossed artificially for genetic studies and the chickens were not OEGB. These birds, both separate species, are raised specifically for these studies by scientific experts in the field at a very few (like 1 or 2) locations in the world. I quarantee they will not be found in any backyard, ever. Well, who knows, maybe in a few 100 years. But why?

If you want a bigger bird than a Jumbo Coturnix, try the Giant Bobwhites, or a bantam chicken. Please don't try to cross species. WHY would anyone do that? If they were meant to cross, they would in nature.

i'm sure somewhere in the world they have artificially inseminated a couple of coturnix with some sperm from a chicken.

They are making Guinea Fowl/Leghorn hybrids now, so I'm sure they have some quail hybrids somewhere.

Maybe the guy was saying OEG, but meant some breed of quail.

Hey go to feathersite.They have a section for just hybrid poultry and theres one cross with some type of banty and quail.I wouldent waste my time though Its probably very hard and there could be some defects that endanger the quail/chicken.Plus it would be pretty hard to find out about all the incubating stuff,special ways to raise them and all that anoying stuff.

Found it,go to google type in feathersite the poultry page and go down until you see hybrids.click on it and go to quail/chicken hybrids.

Quote:
THE JAPONESE HAVE CROSSED EVERYTHING WITH FEATHERS, OR AT LEAST TRIED TO... IT WOULD TAKE AI TO GET IT DONE AND DOUBTFUL IT WOULD WORK. AS FAR AS THE GUY TOUTING IT AT THE SHOW... SOMETIMES ALL YOU CAN DO IS HANG YOUR HEAD AND MUTTER "SOME PEOPLE'S CHILDREN" UNDER YOUR BREATH.

Quote:
I read a study on this and like of the ones that AI took on only 7% hatched and then they were mules for chicken / coturnix seems like turkey coturnix cross rates may have been a little higher but still mules for offspring

Back
Top Bottom