OEGB and something tiny with a rose comb: colour predictions?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by woodsia, Oct 16, 2014.

1. woodsia

woodsia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    I picked up these two little bantam chicks at an auction recently, listed as OEGBs. What I am wondering about is their colour patterns. I've been trying to learn about OEGB colour patterns (which left my head spinning) and chances are they are something nonstandard anyway. But I think they're awfully purdy, and I'm super curious what they might look like as adults.

To complicate matters, the darker chick has a rose comb, so I'm guessing there's something else in there too? Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    From what I see, only the black one has a chance of being pure, the other one doesnt look like a color ive seen. But they both look like little cockerels from the redness of their combs.

3. woodsia

Jul 29, 2014
    I swear their combs turned red the day after we got them home! It was like magic - from androgynous balls of fluff to definite cockerels over night. At the moment they are inseparable, so I'm hoping if we keep them away from any hens they'll continue to get along. If not... I'll just have to play it by ear.

The black one has a rose comb, which is why I was thinking he might be mixed. I suspected neither of them would be any kind of standard colour, which is probably why they were at the auction in the first place. There were quite a few older OEGBs as well, so my guess is that a breeder must have been getting rid of the pet quality birds.

I was just hoping someone might have had something similar pop up, and might be able to give me some idea what they might grow up to look like.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Neither one looks like a pure breed, and not Old English Game. It's possible that they are Old English Game mixes. But, there has to be a rose comb bird somewhere in the lineage of the blue one. Possibly, the blue one has Belgian Bearded D'Anvers in it, or Sebright.

5. woodsia

Jul 29, 2014
    Interesting - I was wondering if there might be some sebright based on the rose comb and his down coloring (he was mostly back with a brownish face when we first got him.) Thanks for your input!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are not purebred Old English Game Bantams, and therefore, do not really match any true color variety.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by