OEGB black tailed red

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gagirly, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    I have a nice black tailed red rooster and have been having trouble finding pullets or hens in this color. Are there any colors I can cross or cross with him to get some ?

2. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I saw that "Ideal" Hatchery has Black Tailed Red O. E. Game Bantams....that is one avenue...I'm not sure of the quality, but it would be a start.......(?) Good Luck! Rusty

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:if you are not able. to obtain Pullets for him, use Black Breasted Red hens.

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:if you are not able. to obtain Pullets for him, use Black Breasted Red hens.

That would be a very good option, you may also consider Ginger Red hens.. Male color will be less affected in the F1. all the Black tailed red I am aware of started from hatchery and still need a great deal of improvement in size, type and color characteristics. A very well typed BB red hen from a strong hen line breeding but maintaining very good feather width would be the best first step. keep pullets from teh F1s to breed back to the cock then a cockrell from that to breed back to the f1 hens, should give you strong start.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

That would be the best option, al the Black tailed red I am aware of started from hatchery and still need a great deal of improvement in size, type and color characteristics. A very well typed BB red hen from a strong hen line breeding but maintaining very good feather width would be the best first step. keep pullets from teh F1s to breed back to the cock then a cockrell from that to breed back to the f1 hens, should give you strong start.

that's a good plan and it helps that what makes Black Tailed Red are dominant genes...[​IMG]

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:That would be the best option, al the Black tailed red I am aware of started from hatchery and still need a great deal of improvement in size, type and color characteristics. A very well typed BB red hen from a strong hen line breeding but maintaining very good feather width would be the best first step. keep pullets from teh F1s to breed back to the cock then a cockrell from that to breed back to the f1 hens, should give you strong start.

that's a good plan and it helps that what makes Black Tailed Red are dominant genes...[​IMG]

there are some excellent quality BB red hens to be had, the femile lines will shorten leg, broaden and deepen breast very fast as well provide a broader gamey head structure.

7. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    Thank you everyone for the advice. That gives me a good dircection to move toward.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by