1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OEGB cockerel turning on people

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuscovyMad, Feb 25, 2011.

1. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I know this pops up time and time again and the same reply of just eat him comes up but i want to know if there is another way. I have read people say just leave them be so they look at you as just the bringer of food and water. And that is the only role humans play to them.

However i got a phone call today from a girl at the farm who was on the run from my OEGB cockerel who was tearing at her wellies. She is rarely the one that feeds them and just rides her horse at the farm. So i can't see why it has started attacking her.

I told her that in the future she needs to stand her ground, try and look as big as possible and push him away with a broom so he realises he can't push her about. Is this the right thing to do?

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Aren't those really small bantams? The size that can fit in a pocket?
    The visual of a wee tiny rooster chasing a girl across the barn gave me the giggles. He would be like a chihauhau nipping at yer toes.

Yeah a broom should do the trick. Along with scooping him up and telling him that he is a pretty girl and putting a pink apron on him. [​IMG]
    He would barely be enough to make a nugget with I would imagine. Got a picture of this tiny terror?

3. MuscovyMad

Dec 2, 2010
    Tiny terror. [​IMG] That describes him exactly. I raised him from a chick along with his hen and he has never had issues with me. He just doesn't like this 15 year old girl. I have to say i did laugh quite hard when she phoned me out of breath having ran round a field a couple of times in an attempt to escape him. I don't have any photos but will try and take some when i see him tomorrow.

4. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Oh, this looks like a fun thread to follow! Yes, pictures please! I have a visual of her running across the field, pigtails flying, with mighty mouse chasing her with wings aflappin'.

[​IMG]

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

6. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    MY ROOSTER ISNT BIG AT ALL, BUT HE USED TO chase me!!
    It scared me but i eventually kicked him *not hard* and he doesnt do it so much anymore, when they come after you they seem bigger then they really are!

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Mine have not tried it on me.Long Tail has started to side dance at Dad though.
    I just grab em, pet their backs, scratch the back area near their tail base, wiggle their tail, call em a pretty girl, pick em up, and pet their wattles. This girlizes them in front of each other.
    For some reason when I do this to one of them the other 4 walk a wide berth away from me.

8. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Quote:Godzilla ( 2lbs of OEGB roo) used to make the driver for UPS run for his life if we got a package!! Beware what you name your critters!! [​IMG]

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    One of the OEGB roosters I just bought for my youngest daughter has jumped my hand twice now while filling his waterer or feeder. It's almost funny in that he's no bigger than my hand, but I can't have him doing that to my daughter. So every time he does it I pick him up, hold him still, then talk to him while stroking his head. When he's calm and stops struggling I gently put him back.

10. MuscovyMad

Dec 2, 2010
    Part of me is looking forward to seeing him tomorrow to see what the reaction will be. For the whole picking them up and girlifying them in front of the ladies will that have to be done by the 15 year old / everyone that he decides he wants a piece of?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by