OEGB color ID help

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I'm not sure if these are mixed colors or what. They are all pure OEGB.
First is a little hen, she is completely black except for some reddish coloring around her neck. She has slate legs when not broody
lol.png

PICT0126-1.jpg

Second is a little roo that I was told looked like a brassy back. In this pic, his saddle and hackles look gold, but they are more of a silver color.
PICT0765-1.jpg

Next is a little guy that was sold to me as a blue. I thought maybe his feathers were sunburned at the time, but if anything they have gotten lighter in color. He does have lacing like a blue, and has slate legs as well.
Bambi006.jpg

Bambi013.jpg

Finally I have a very pretty little roo, I have no idea what color he is. He does have a typical straight comb, but it got frostbit last winter because he likes to sleep in the trees
hmm.png

Bambi018.jpg

Bambi019.jpg

She has chicks right now, in that pic she was on 9 guinea eggs. She hatched 3, and ended up losing them
sad.png
I didn't realize they could get out through the wire and they got lost
hide.gif

Quote:
Are you sure the last is wheaton? He's awfully red, and his breast is the same color as the rest of him.

Couldn't see the breast in your pictures. His top colour is closer to Wheaton than anything else but his breast should be black. I guess he's a chicken ????

Quote:
Are you sure the last is wheaton? He's awfully red, and his breast is the same color as the rest of him.

Couldn't see the breast in your pictures. His top colour is closer to Wheaton than anything else but his breast should be black. I guess he's a chicken ????

Could he be a ginger red?

Quote:

Could he be a ginger red?

If a Ginger Red his hackle & saddle should be free of black. Also his top colour should be more even. He sort of looks half way between Wheato & Ginger Red. Where did you get these birds?

Quote:
Also his top colour should be more even. He sort of looks half way between Wheato & Ginger Red

Really I agree with NYREDS, and to point something out. I don't believe the first hen is Old English Game (bantam), but American game (large fowl). She's pea comb, looks too big for a OEGB, has white earlobes (though that can still happen in OEGB), and shows the typical brown red pattern often seen in American Game. Actually I have a hen that is identical to her now, looks like same size, features, and everything. She came from a Hatch(bbred)/Wingate brown red cross. The Wingates also had a little McRae black which is why she came darker than the typical brown red. But not trying to say that your hen is that exact mix- could be anything. I just thought it was interesting.

-Daniel​

Last edited:
Could be a Blue Brassy Back-pictures aren't the best. As to the first hen she's obviously Brown Red. The OP said OEGB so I assumed single comb-can't see well enough in the pic to say single or pea for sure. As to the lobes, older hens will often develop those pale lobes. Especially when they're setting. I have a large fowl Brown Re that was the 3rd best OE at the APA National a few years back. When she was young she had red lobes. Now they're pale. Not really pearl white but certainly not red.

Back
Top Bottom