OEGB - Color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Reyvaughn, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    This is Chipmunk... Chipmunk was supposed to be a cockerel so "he" could eventually end up in my crockpot. Of course, of the 4 bantams I bought that day, only one was a cockerel and my husband claimed Chipmunk as his own - no matter the gender.
    So. If Chipmunk is staying, I gotta know - what color is she?! I am assuming she's a silver duckwing, but the gold duckwing looks pretty much the same to me. Since I can't figure it out, I figured I'd ask you BYCers!

[​IMG]

Yes, her chest is golden colored. [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like a female golden duckwing

3. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Silver

4. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I do not know much about Duckwings myself as I lean towards solid colors, but I could have swore Golden Duckwings were sex linked and so there was no such thing has actual Golden Duckwing hens. Maybe I am just off my rocker. At any account the hens you see out of both Golden and Silvers have red/golden breasts, so that is not much to go off of.

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    LOL... I laugh because that's what I said. Gold. No, silver.... Hmmm?
    I also need to find out if she's possibly show quality. I doubt it, she's hatchery stock. But, it is a local fair, so who knows. I want to send my kids with a chicken each, just to see if they like showing.

6. stephanie1992

7. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Quote:The pics on the club website, the gold and silver girls look exactly alike to me. I don't know about the genetics, and I don't plan on keeping OEGBs, we only have Chippy and I don't plan on getting any others.

8. stephanie1992

i showed hatchery stock birds before and got first on lot of them so i dnt think it really matters where there from or anything like that. id just show her and see how she does. worth a try

9. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I believe she's definitely silver duckwing. They are supposed to have black legs, but hers are kind of slate. Gold duckwing hens have pearl legs.

@ Stephanie - That's kind of what I was thinking.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by