OEGB dubbing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muddyhorse, Jan 13, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    can you show a OEGB that is not dubbed. Is it part of the standard? I am getting some D'anvers and she said she would also include some SQ OEGB. I just don't know if I can dub them.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Males over a year old are the only ones that have to be dubbed to be showed. Any rooster not dubbed is a DQ.
    (Comb, wattles and ear lobes have to be dubbed)

Chris

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Darn [​IMG] I really don't want to have to dub mine (I think they're much prettier naturally). But I guess I will once I get into showing. When is the best time to do it?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  5. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    I dubbed my first birds a couple months ago with an experienced breeder helping me out. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was expecting the birds to freak out, but they didn't. I was expecting a lot of head shaking and other indications of pain, but they just went about their business.

OEGB would be better than MGB because you don't trim the comb as close to the head. I would definately do it in cooler weather when there aren't flies around. The breeder I worked with tries to do it right before they molt so the hackle feathers aren't stained.

I've heard you can numb the comb/wattles with a little Ambesol, but haven't tried it. If you use a styptic powder, make sure it won't hurt their eyes. The breeder sugggested using plain flour. I've used Cream of Tartar on horses, and that works too.

Not something I look forward to, but can do.

6. djmooney

djmooney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    My rooster were mating my hen just seconds after i dubbed him. He didnt even close his eyes or anything. He bled for a bit but I put flower on his comb and it immediately stopped. I was going to dub 1 night but i just couldn't do it. but once i did it i was fine

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Like Ryu said, it`s not that difficult. An old cockers trick is a vitamin K tablet about a half hour before dubbing. Cuts down on most of the blood. Do it in late afternoon so there is enough daylight left to observe them for a while and then they roost and let everything clot. A bucket of fresh water to dip their heads in is a good idea. A sharp pair of scissors and a helper and you are in business. good luck........Pop

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. Splash Giants

Splash Giants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Its really not that difficult at all. I dubb during fall and winter if I can and all I do is dip the whole head in a bucket of fresh water and stick them back in the cage by thereself. I have dubbed alot of birds and never have any trouble. When I get one that bleeds alot I just use flower but thats not often.

9. Buck77

Buck77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    What is the youngest age you should do it? What are the drawbacks of dubbing too young?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That you will not remove sufficient amounts of comb, wattles and earlobes, and will have to dubb a second time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by