OEGB / Dutch Bantam ....What breeder should I use???

Brian

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Jacksonville, ORegon
Is there someone on BYC here who can tell me who the go-to person is for fine (show) quality birds without spending an arm and a leg? Someone with a stellar reputation who treats their birds well and puts their best interests first? I like both breeds and am looking for tame temperament, health, and ideal looks.

Thanks!
Brian

Depends on what you consider an arm and a leg.Show stock is'nt cheap.If you go by what some of the breeders claim to be show stock but are really selling junk,which happens alot then you may get some less expensive birds.With true quality Old English Game Bantams you can expect to spend around $200.00 a trio for breeders, and up to 150 to 200 per bird for ready to show males from the top breeders in the country.

Let me give you some advice about trying to buy good stock, mainly Old English.

First off have a plan, don't contact a breeder with a bunch of wishy washy questions and then not even know what variety you are wanting. You don't say what you are looking for here....................

I have people contact me about birds and don't have a clue what they are looking for- " Well what have you got for sale?" At that point is when I start trying to get off the phone.
Know what you are wanting in varieties and keep it simple, don't say I want all the colors. Do your homework and study the standard if you can. Another question that I hate is - " Tell me everything I need to know" You should have made some attempt to educate yourself.
All I should have to do is fill in some gaps or point you in the right direction.

Join the ABA and get the yearbook and study who wins in what variety and where. This should be the fun part.

Lastly- If you are just starting out NEVER pay top dollar for breeding stock, you don't know enough to know if what you are buying is worth it. I would expect to pay $100-$150 a trio for good stock. Maybe a little less for this years hens and cocks. Start looking now but don't expect to get anything till September or October, when breeders start culling. I usually don't sell good breeding stock till about November or even January as I make my last cull before breeding season.

Bob

Both of these posts are excellent. Thank you. I've had chickens for years, but it's been a long time since I've had bantams (until my recent seramas).

With regard to what I'm looking for: In the OEGB, I like the BBR. In the Dutch, I like the Wheaton, Blue Light Brown, and the Light Brown. However, a more generalized answer, and perhaps one that may explain why some people appear so loose in what they want, is this: what I am looking for is the fun of breeding a particular variety of bird...one that I find beautiful, and one that perhaps a breeder excels at breeding. I want small, beautiful, healthy birds that are of good stock in regard to temperament (if possible). That said, I am looking for the above in a trio. Time is NOT of the essence. I can wait a year if need be.

Brian
Merlin, OR

Back
Top Bottom