OEGB feathering

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by featherfooted, Oct 13, 2008.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Do the pullets of OEGB feather out faster than the little Roos? I have 10 little black OEGB chicks in the brooder that are almost 3 weeks old and I noticed that most of them have feathered out to have tails about 1/2" long. I know in some breeds the pullets will get their tail feathers before the little roos and I was wondering if OEGB was one of them. These are my first OEGBs and they are so cute.

2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Mine seemed to, but it's not necessarily the rule. I have a BLRW right now that I swore was a girl, but he's now getting boy feathers.

What color are your OEGB?

3. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    My OEGB are Black. They are so cute. I also have 4 Nankin chicks that are about the same age, but they are being raised by one of my Silkies.

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have BBR's, two fawn pullets, and a blue-red sport cockerel I just bought two weeks ago. He's going to be such a handsome boy when he gets older! I'm hoping to breed him with both the BBR and fawn girls. I should have blue, fawn, sport, and blue-red sport out of him.

5. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    These are my first OEGB so I'm starting with only 1 variety. I hope to get others as I learn more. There are so many varieties that I don't know which ones I like best. I started with black as they are a solid color and My Dad had some at one time. Which are the easiest to breed the color correctly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by