OEGB hen very bloated and acting "slow"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeepersMama, Nov 15, 2016.

1. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

I have an OEGB hen and she has been acting "out of it" for a couple days now. I noticed she was having trouble breathing on friday, but assumed that the young girl who was holding her was just squeezing her a bit to hard. Now she is noticeably bloated, isn't running as fast as she usually does (since we let them free-range), and has been rather eager to be held. The first thing that comes to my mind is ascites, but was wondering if any one else has had experience with similar symptoms. Could she have worms? Or does it sound like something else? Thanks in advance!

2. PeepersMama

She is acting alot better now. She doesn't seem nearly as "fat" as before, and is breathing normally again. I don't think that she's got anything wrong with her anymore.

3. PeepersMama

Aaaaaand, scratch that. She isn't bloated nearly as bad as before, but is still having a noticeably hard time breathing. I can't hear anything, and she isn't opening her mouth to get air through, but she gets a very "open throat" whenever she inhales. Please help! If I haven't gotten a response by staurday afternoon I will probably start a new thread.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you are having trouble.
    Any video?

Where is she bloated? Abdomen? What does the bloat feel like - air/fluid filled?
    How old is she?
    Is she able to eat/drink?

Ascites or Peritonitis would be possibilities. Air sac rupture would be another.

1 person likes this.
  5. PeepersMama

We aren't sure how old she is, but she is at least 2-4 years. Her abdomen is rather hard; it feels like... ida know, a really hard balloon.
    And of course, everytime I update this thread, she starts acting different. I was gone all day yesterday, so I don't know how she was acting then, but on thursday she was acting a bit slower than usual and was breathing with a noticeably open throat. Her nose isn't clogged or anything, but it looked like she was breathing through her mouth but was keeping it closed [​IMG]
    Today she was acting great. It got really cold the other night, so we put her and he frizzle friend in a better coop, and she was picking on all the wimpy hens today.

Thank you sooooooo much for posting. I kinda feel bad, honestly; as soon as someone replies, she starts acting normal again! [​IMG] I was really worried about her, but now she's acting fine [​IMG] I'll let you know if anything changes. Thanks!

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is doing better.

Please do let us know if there's any change.

7. PeepersMama

I will [​IMG]
    Again, thanks ALOT for responding. I've noticed that the more frantic sounding the title of the thread, the more people respond. Maybe if I made it sound like she had ascites... THEN everyone would be like [​IMG] AAAHH!!! Emergency!!! We've got to help this chicken! [​IMG]

8. PeepersMama

So far she has been acting completely normal. Flying around, being a snot to her flock mates, running ,all that fun chicken stuff.I think she might have just been cold. After she had one good sleep in a warm coop with her roosting buddy, she perked up all the way. Now I don't think it's anything major.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is doing well! Being a snot sounds like a full recovery to me[​IMG]

10. PeepersMama

Oh totally. When we got her she had been living in a cage in the house all by her self. Our neighbors were "chicken-sitting" her, and when the owner decided she didn't want her anymore, we took her. Lucky for her we had the broody mama running around with some babies, so when Parakeet ditched them, she took over and bossed them all around. I was outside and I looked over and saw her chasing the HUGE speckled sussex cockerel around. It was HILARIOUS!!! Even the big fluffy brahma girls that we got, she still bosses, and she isn't even a quarter their size [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by