OEGB or brahma

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mccluckers, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    I will be getting a couple of chicks to add to my mixed flock of bantams and standards. I will be keeping a rooster and the hens from the chicks.
    My pen is uncovered so I need to know if the OEGB will be aware of Hawks, I am not worried about the brahmas as they will be big enough not to be affected. I like the big fluffiness of the brahmas but I love the spunk and adorability of the OEGB.
    Which do you guys recommend?
    Thanks

Edited to add: my temps rarely get below -7c but my coop is not insulated and I can't add supplement heat. If that changes anything.
    Thanks again

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My OEGBs did well free ranging and living in a run with an open top. They'll look out for hawks well enough, just be sure to give them hiding places so they can get away from them if they need to.
    And, for what its worth, hawks do not discriminate based on size. Your brahmas will be in just as much danger as the OEGBs. I've lost more than a few very large chickens to them. They can't carry them off, so they opt to eat them wherever they kill them (which is typically right in front of their flock mates).

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk

Okay, how cold hardy were your OEGB? If I get them try will be undubbed. Friendliness? Sorry to ask all these questions I just wanna get the right breed!

Thanks

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Mine did fine in the cold, and they weren't dubbed. I've had them here in TN and I had them when I lived in VA. Here we see temps in the low teens during winter, but in VA it was nothing to see negative temperatures. I never had any frostbitten combs. As long as your coop is well ventilated and draft free, they should be good to go :)

5. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Ok thanks, can't wait! I was doing a louse check on my chickens and on some of them there were round flat yellow things that were white on the inside and had a yellow ring around the outside! Hhhheeellllllppp NFM? I thought they were black and grey, I am really panicking!!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    No need to panic, just pick up some Sevin dust or poultry spray and treat them. Clean out your coop well and treat it too. Then do it all over again in a week. You could also mix them up a dust bath for preventative measures. If you heat with a wood stove, (cold) wood ash is excellent dust bath material. Or, you could mix up some sand and DE, or just use some fine dirt dug up from somewhere in your yard.

7. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Okay, I have mite powder and I have just ordered ivermectin online. I have poultry shield for the house, okay? I have just spoke to the breeder about my chicks and he will be setting them tommorow! I have heard they are very friendly, how are yours? Thanks for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by