OEGB or Dutch Bantams? Help Me Choose & Show Me your Birds

Neco

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2017
Canterbury, Connecticut
Hi all! I've had various chickens all my life and right now I am down to some bantam mutts. I love them but I want to get back into purebreds and hopefully show them at my local country fairs like I used to (and maybe some bigger shows but probably won't actually end up doing so). I am torn between Old English Game Bantams and Dutch Batams.

I really love OEGB but don't want to have to dub them (not starting anything on this just stating my preferences). So should I go with a breed I love and just show the hens if I ever go to a big show, I don't think the country fairs will care about the roosters being dubbed anyway. Has anyone else just shown hens?

Or should I go with the dutch? They are very similar in appearance and have very similar colors but don't need to be dubbed to show them (least I don't think?).
As far as I can tell the only easy to see difference are their white ears.

The colors I'm interested in are Self Blue (Lavender), Blue, Blue Splash.

I'd love to hear your opinions on both breeds and see pictures of your birds in any color to help me decide :)

OEGB! They are THE SWEETEST birds. Affectionate, personable................oh I love them 🥰 I miss mine....................some people say they are flighty, and they could be, but the 2 hens I had were AWESOME. I HATE the dubbing part, there are tons of people trying to change those laws, so maybe that won't be a problem by the time you have a nice flock started. County fairs don't care from my experience.

OEGB! They are THE SWEETEST birds. Affectionate, personable................oh I love them 🥰 I miss mine....................some people say they are flighty, and they could be, but the 2 hens I had were AWESOME. I HATE the dubbing part, there are tons of people trying to change those laws, so maybe that won't be a problem by the time you have a nice flock started. County fairs don't care from my experience.

Thank you! My dad has one little Silver Duckwing Hen who is the best little bird. I'm going to go with the OEGB for sure now. Just needed the extra push ha ha....off to the buy, sell, trade section to see what's out there.

I understand the Dutch are really sweet birds too. You will never have to be concerned whether you will have to dub them. And you will be helping an old breed that is need of some breeders. The Dutch are getting rare.

Consider the purpose of the hens that you probably won’t show, too. Also, consider your location. I don’t think the northeast US or Canada are particularly suitable for OEGB with their small bodies and large combs.

If you want to have a self-sustaining flock using those incredibly broody Game hens rather than a flock where you continually have to order from a hatchery ... you could consider OEGB.

Would you be willing to make a trade-off (dubbing) on a few (not all) for show? This would be more applicable in places with a longer warm season.

I have no idea about Dutch, but Game hens are the beat broodies I have had. However, this is in a location without long winters.

OEGB show birds are still prized, even just for exhibition purposes.

However, showing OEGBs is more common in warmer locations than Connecticut.

You might want to go with a rare, but cold-hardy breed in Connecticut rather than a Game. The large single combs of most Game breeds are badly susceptible to frostbite.

There are uncommon rose-comb and other breeds that are both cold-tolerant and never dubbed.

Last edited:
Great points to think on Ruth!

I'm not too worried about the cold. I've had other bantam roo's with large combs and they've done well. I make sure to wrap their runs in plastic and they have access to a barn with a heat lamp. Dutch also how large single combs so this would be an issue either way, though they are supposedly better in the cold than OEGB.

I would definitely prefer hens be more broody though, as I'd like to sell day old chicks locally or use them to help hatch my own chickens/peafowl (even if they can only fit one egg ha ha). Hens I won't show will be pets so I'm not too worried there. All my birds even the ones I used to show were pets first and foremost.

I'm not willing to dub any of my birds unless it is medically necessary & done with pain meds. I'm not apposed to purchasing already dubbed roos though so that is an option.

Sadly, I haven't come across any rosecomb breeds that are clean legged, don't have beards, and come in the self blue color if you happen to know any I am all ears!

I'm trying to find a Dutch breeder now. I like the idea of helping out a rarer breed. Only trouble is I can't find the color (self blue) I really want easily :(
Dutch are too rare to be find specific colors, in general. Light brown seems to be the most available color, and not easy to find breeders in that one. You may be able to get "rarer" colors from hatcheries or eBay, but they have been crossed on Old English bantams. You could order and work with them, if that's what you really want.

If I can find a breeder of the colors I like I will probably go with Dutch, and if not I will go with OEGB. That's where I am at now. I would love to help out a rarer breed but that means it's a struggle to get them too.

Back
Top Bottom