OEGB PEOPLE!!! Help me ID my new bantam chicks! :D

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Guitartists, May 31, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, on my way back from Gayle's with my new EE's and cochins..... I stopped by the feed store for feed and lo and behold... new chick shipment was in!!! They had a partridge Silkie, and I have been wanting one ... so, SOLD! And of course I had to get some more because they had BR pullets... not a bantam I know, but I figure what is a chicken yard without a B&W barred chicken! [​IMG] So I grabbed one of those and they had a bunch of little ones still in the bantam box, so I grabbed what I think is a Gold Sebright and an OEG.... Can you all help me positively ID them, and also, any guesses as to WHICH color/pattern the OEG will be, if that's what it is? I read somewhere that maybe Duckwing OEGs can be sexed by the amount of brown on the head... is this true???? Is mine a duckwing???? If both are true.... what is mine! ? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I dont know about the first one but the second one looks like my Blac k Breasted Red looked

3. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    i can't identify the but i can tell you that they're gorgeous. Great pics too![​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They're soooo tiny compared to my other "beasts!" LMAO That little one that I think is an OEGB is the fiestiest thing I ever did see! So, any more guesses as to what color it will be... or if it is even an OEGB?

Also... The first one, the little Sebright. Since the males have the same plumage as the females..... at what age can you successfully tell them from one another?

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    you say the first ones a Sebright? I dont know how you can tell what sex they are unless they lay an egg,,,,,,,
    the other two both look like BBRed color that could be OEGB if it is small and feisty or it could be MGB, you really cant tell on the legs till they get older, also brown leghorns are colored like that and I think a couple other breeds but it sounds kinda like an OEGB

the middle one looks like it is standing like a n OEGB

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    the last 2 pics looked like BBR-Black breasted red. but there is no telling. if it is a golden duckwing. they can throw BBR looking chicks. you'll be able to tell as it gets older. only way i know of sexing them in OEGBs. are they can be sexed by the wing feathers. they might can be sexed by the color. but im not sure. never had golden duckwings. just Blacks. and plan to get Silvers.

EDIT: forgot to add. the reason why golden duckwings can throw BBr looking chicks, is because a golden duckwings color is obtained by Crossing a Black breasted red crossed with a Silver duckwing. which then takes the light color from silvers and turns it into a yellow tint. like they have been in mud.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OEGB the males and females feather in the same and aboiut 6 weeks the males will get their different colored feathers. Silver and gold duckwing and bbred and most other colors of OEGB unless its black, white, such;

these chicks have the bbred markings

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone... I should have been a bit more clear on the photos [​IMG] The 2nd and 3rd pics are the same bird. Yeah, I am leaning toward BBR too. Though I did notice some Duckwing and Creole chicks could have similar markings. Not sure of which hatchery they got them from. I will have to ask next time I'm in there... I'm thinking maybe Meyer since they had Silkies too.

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i figured the 2-3 pics were the same chicken. Cause you didn't really mention 2 OEGBs. Im glad i could help (if i did any). Creles can have the same patterns as BBR's. until they feather out more. then they take on the Barred pattern.

10. king2

king2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    I would say that you have bbr oegbs. but I do believe that you can sex silver duckwing oegbs by the amount of brown on their heads. usually, what I have found at least, is that the females brown on their heads is way darker and way more defined than the males. Also my male chicks seem to hatch out with a yellow tint in their heads. I have some hatching out right now under a broody. I will try to get a picture tomorrow and show who I think is a boy and who I think is a girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by