Oegb Size?? Help Plz!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brandon97, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Brandon97

Brandon97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    hey its brandon,
    i have 4 old english game bantam chicks, 2 boys and 2 girls. i really need to know how big they will grow, so i know how tall to make the new coop, if i can let them free range in the day etc, and what other bantams can they go with, to breed? (like my silkie hens?).
    Do you have pics with them next to you or in your hands etc?
    ANY HELP IS HANDY!
    thanks in advance.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Brandon97

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    Thanks loads. I have an idea now. i wont be letting those little fellrs free range any time lately! aw bless them! thier tiny!

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I could never let mine free range because they can *FLY*. They can clear a 9 ft fence taking off from the ground. [​IMG]

4. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Their size can also depend on whether they are hatchery stock or show stock. Hatchery oegb can be quite a bit bigger than show lines of birds. But frost is right, they can fly over most any fence. Leave them out too much, and around dusk you will find them in the top of the tallest tree.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They are very little. About 20 ounces for the males and about a pound for the females. They can fly, although I've never had much trouble with them flying, except to get on top of something to crow.
    I've kept them in a mixed group of chickens and allowed them to free range. They're very hardy and seem to be able to avoid predators pretty well, at least during the daytime. They are sweet and eat out of my hand, my favorite of all my chickens!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  6. Brandon97

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    thanks. i noticed that the one that crows, who is about 5 inch tall, jumps onto a support on the tractor which is 85 inches high to crow, thought it was just him

7. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    24oz for a mature cock, and 22oz for a mature hen.

8. Brandon97

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    any more help please?

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I have an 18 week old pullet and roo that freerange all the time with a mixed group of chickens. They love it and they haven't 'flown the coop' yet. They are out with silkies, d'uccles, polish and NNs and they are thriving.

Good luck with your little guys, I just love mine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by