****OEGB strange colored chick**** UPDATE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Mar 21, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Both of these chicks came from one of my Self Blue Old English pairs.
    The one chick is normal colored, but the other chick is almost white. What is up with that?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Interesting....can;t wait to see what you get. Maybe its albino! [​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

recessive white.... LOL It happens.

I bred my lavender roo to my black hens and got a solid white chick... As me how that happened.... RECESSIVE WHITE! I was shocked.

See, both of these chicks are from a lavender to black breeding... go figure.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  4. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:strange. LOL. At first I was thinking albino, but the eyes arent red or pink. Obviously I cant use "her" to breed, right?

5. Poulets De Cajun

I dont know actually. You would think that she'll carry a copy of the recessive lavender gene, but I'm not sure. I kept my white chick only because she was SUCH a nice baby. If I dont use her for showing she'll just be a pet.

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Blue to Blue mating give equal numbers of Blue and Splash chicks. Splash is white with odd blue feathers. This most likely what you have.
    To get recessive White, both coloured parents must carry the gene.
    No reason why you can't breed with it.
    You have no reason to be shocked, just brush up on a bit of poultry genetics, " knowledge is a light burden to carry".
    David

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:They are speaking of Self-blue birds.. aka lavender. Not the same as the Andalusian Blue that results in BBS. [​IMG] Self blue is supposed to breed true... 100% Self-blue offspring [​IMG]

8. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:They are speaking of Self-blue birds.. aka lavender. Not the same as the Andalusian Blue that results in BBS. [​IMG] Self blue is supposed to breed true... 100% Self-blue offspring [​IMG]

Yes, thats what I am speaking of, so there is no way it could be a splash.

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Definately recessive white. If you crossed it back to the parents you should get 50/50 self blue and rec white.

10. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:REALLY?!? Hmm! Might have to try that...

What if you crossed the recessive white chick back to a black based lavender? Would it still be 50/50 lav/rec white?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by