OEGB Types

sphillips

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
New Mexico
I believe I have 2 OEGB chicks about 5 weeks old. I thought they were black breasted, but these two have long pink legs, not the darker ones. What type could they be? Will post pics in the morning.

I believe I have 2 OEGB chicks about 5 weeks old. I thought they were black breasted, but these two have long pink legs, not the darker ones. What type could they be? Will post pics in the morning.
Black breasted red OEGB should have white legs, sometimes with a slight pinkish tint, especially in the chicks.

At 5 weeks their pattern would tell if they're male or female.
Reddish breast for pullets and black for cockerels.
Hen on left and rooster on right.
BB-Red-Bantam.jpg

At 5 weeks their pattern would tell if they're male or female.
Reddish breast for pullets and black for cockerels.
Hen on left and rooster on right.
View attachment 1350619
Well, these chicks are about 5 weeks old, and I'm not seeing any black or red. Do believe I am completely wrong about the breed. The two chicks look almost identical, but if you look closely, one has more white on it's breast, and one has some black on it's beak. Both combs look about the same, small, but light pink. I'm posting some pics, sorry for the quality, these suckers never stop moving!
Brown chick.jpg
Brown chick 2.jpg

Well, these chicks are about 5 weeks old, and I'm not seeing any black or red. Do believe I am completely wrong about the breed. The two chicks look almost identical, but if you look closely, one has more white on it's breast, and one has some black on it's beak. Both combs look about the same, small, but light pink. I'm posting some pics, sorry for the quality, these suckers never stop moving!
View attachment 1350774 View attachment 1350775
I believe those are spangled OEGB, which are a little different. Definitely not black breasted red. I'm not sure of gender, but would lean cockerel for both because of comb size. But wait two or three more weeks and try again-- they may look different then.

Back
Top Bottom