Oegb

I am not an expert on chicks with neurological symptoms, but there can be difficulties with infection from incubators, and vitamin or mineral deficiencies in the parent stock. How do you disinfect your incubator and brooder before each hatch? Incubator temperatures and humidity are also important. When I used to incubate shipped eggs, I found that the rarer breeds had poor hatches,while the more common breeds. I had better suspccess with broodies hatching my own eggs. Very sorry for your loss.

I am not an expert on chicks with neurological symptoms, but there can be difficulties with infection from incubators, and vitamin or mineral deficiencies in the parent stock. How do you disinfect your incubator and brooder before each hatch? Incubator temperatures and humidity are also important. When I used to incubate shipped eggs, I found that the rarer breeds had poor hatches,while the more common breeds. I had better suspccess with broodies hatching my own eggs. Very sorry for your loss.
I clean with a water and light bleach mixture. The incubator is brand new so I dont think an infection coming from there would be the case. Temperature 99.5 the entire 21 days. Humidity 43-50% until last 3 days I ran it about 70%. I did have one day I came home from work and humidity was on 60% I must have bumped the bator that morning and splashed a little water into the other water cell causing a spike in humidity. Could that have done it? And I have read a few things online about chicks on their backs (finding few with similar issues) and ironically they were lavender breeds. I'm wondering if this could be something funky from the lavender gene.

Just an update. Lost the second f1 on easter sunday. Such a bummer. Tried all day keeping it alive but took its last breath in my hand. Got another batch in the bator. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me again. If so I'll be hanging up this lavender project. I don't have the heart to watch anything suffer like that

Back
Top Bottom