1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OEGBs and Bantam Salmon Faverolles - NEW PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by d_rooster, Dec 30, 2007.

1. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Well, an OEGB egg was the first to hatch tonight (end of day 20) from my second incubation. It looks like my red pyle OEGB may actually be the Daddy of this first chick rather than either of my other roosters (the buff cochin bantam or the black frizzled cochin bantam). This first OEGB to hatch looks awfully white feathered like my little red pyle rooster did when he was a chick, but I can't be absolutely certain until the little thing dries some more. It just looks mostly pink now like a baby mouse with wings. [​IMG] However, it definitely sounds like a chick. I think it must be a rooster with all of the constant chirping noise it is making. [​IMG]

I hope that the Salmon Faverolles are okay and that they are just waiting until Day 21 to pip. They were kicking at Day 18 when candled, so I think they are just taking their sweet time. Although these SFs are bantams their eggs are more than twice the size of the little OEGBs. 11 SF's and 4 more OEGBs to go. [​IMG]

Update Day 21, 9:00a.m.EDST (12/31/07): This morning, I have a pip on a Salmon Faverolles egg!!!!! [​IMG] What a way to get ready to ring in the New Year!!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Woohoo!! Congrats! Where are the pics!????

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. d_rooster

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Here are the pics of the one baby OEGB that has hatched so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's more hand than chick in this photo. The chick is just so tiny.
    [​IMG]

5. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    OH so cute. What does OEGB stand for?

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

so tiny, and cute:D

7. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    oegb = old english game bantam

8. Oh! So tiny and so CUTE!!!
    Good luck with the rest of the hatch!

Happy New Year!!
    Lisa

9. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    thank you banty chick I am still learning [​IMG]

10. d_rooster

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Update Day 21 (9:25 p.m.) - 3 of the Salmon Faverolles (SF) have definitely pipped. I was sitting there watching the one egg that was already pipped when I heard a distinct cracking sound. It was the sound of the second egg pipping. The third egg pipped while I was running wife and daughter (in their pajamas) to Dairy Queen for dessert. [​IMG] I think we are home to stay now and I'm planning to ring in the New Year with at least one SF hatching by midnight, I hope. That first SF to pip is trying to zip now, I think. It's steadily beating on the shell and peeping.

Wife has made some good New Year's snacks which should keep me strong during the hatch watch, for as long as I can stay awake tonight. Now I'm settling in for the waiting game. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by