1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

# of backyard chickens raised annually in the US?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by purelypoultry, Dec 9, 2009.

1. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I am trying to do some research on the number of backyard chickens raised annually in the US?

I found this Poultry - Inventory and Number Sold: 2007 and 2002 It lists inventory and sold but that doesn't seem to coincide with what I see as numbers sold from different hatcheries. I am confused.

Table 13. Poultry - Inventory and Sales: 2007 and 2002

My goal is to find the number of backyard chickens, number of backyard ducks, geese, turkeys, pheasants, quail, etcetera. Any feedback, suggestions, or data would be greatly appreciated!

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    there is a thread on here about how many chickens we have i cant really do the search thing good so maybe someone with knowledge on that will lol

3. purelypoultry

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Its not so much how many each individual has, more about how many chickens are raised nationally.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    but we have added up very much its taken as a total not as individual

5. purelypoultry

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    How many chickens do we all have? 21,622 and counting. That is pretty neat. However I need national numbers. Ideal hatches 5 million, and many other hatcheries produce millions. One thing I would also like defined is when is it backyard chickens? 25? 250? 2500? For my purposes I would consider it anything under 10,000 because that is my market.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by