1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

# of birds In chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hcammack, Nov 1, 2007.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have 8 four week old chicks and I am planning on housing them in a chicken tractor I am planning on doing a few alterations to it but I would like to know if I will need to put alot more space. the tractor is 24sqft. I one or two chicks is a rooster they will be rehomed or stewed unless they never crow [​IMG] but I seriously dought that will happen. Any suggestions?

Henry

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    sounds small for 8 chickens, is that total space coop and all. by coop i mean covered area in tractor

3. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
  4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    yup I am thinking It will be down to 6 chickens they are standards and I know I will probably have to get 1 more chicken tractor that will probably end up being my summer project is to build another one. do you think that this space is good for 4 hens they will get to free range somtimes and the tractor is moved every day? I am thinking of putting a second floor on that tractor but it is heavy already I think that I will probably build and arc like structure for 6 hens so I will have ten hens total.

THanks Henry

5. TxChiknRanchers

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    We had one tractor that ended up being a little small. so I built and additional run to add to it, a tractor trailer so to speak. We just move them separately and then join them together again. the trailer is just a run no coop in it.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks sound like a good idea I am realy buissy with school now but I think it will be a good spring break project. I think that I will also make and area that I can shut them in at night becaus right now I am using chicken wire underneath to keep perdators out. All my friends will go to the beach and I will ask them to come help me add on to my chicken tractor. I am the head of the sustainability club so I guess I could make it a weekend project.

THanks Henry

7. TxChiknRanchers

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    good luck!

sustainability club

explain​

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Well we have clubs at school and This year I decided to start a club with other kids that are intrested in living sustainably or lowering there impact on the enviroment. I go to a small Highschool with about 400 kids so 25 kids in one club is alot and we are finding alot of intresting projects to do.

on a side note Is monica's chicken house movable I am thinking of modafying it to look like that?

thanks Henry

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a tractor that is 28 sq ft of pen *plus* a 10 sq ft "upstairs apartment" shelter.

With 3 red sexlinks in it (full-time, no freeranging) the lawn would start getting pretty trashed after about a day and a half. Mind this is not the very most luxurious thick lawn but still it's probably about like most lawns in the Northeast. If I got distracted and moved the tractor any less often than every 2 days the lawn took a long long time to recover.

With 4 hens in 24 feet (as compared to my 3 in basically 38ish) I wonder if you'd be doing permanent damage to your lawn even if you moved 'em daily? Something to think about anyhow.

Pat

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Alright thanks I was thinking mabe I could make a larger movable run and use this as my coop would that work ?

Henry

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by