OF course... she has to go broody NOW!!!! GRRRRRR

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dar, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have a silkie <surprise surprise> well she has decided to go broody now of all times when I have a vacation planned and the woman coming to house/animal sit probaly wont go under a broody hen for eggs so it looks like she will hatch a few in the middle of winter... great [​IMG]

so when I get back should I bring the momma to be and the eggs inside and let her do her thing? or just leave her in the coop and let her hatch them out there?

our coldest month by far is February I dont know if i can keep the temp up enough in the coop to keep the babies warm and i am worried about my 3 roos and other hens with the babies

2. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    anyone?.... can anyone answer my question?

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

i've hatched in winter before outside- bad experience, no survivors.
    So Iwould bring her in if you would like to hatch some babies [​IMG]

4. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    Well this is just me but I wouldn't want to put up with the hassle. I'd take the eggs away and hope she would go broody again in the spring.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Let me give you two links to look at. It will save me typing here and includes other people's opinions.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

Raise with flock? thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=215937&p=1

I agree it is not the best time of year and my temperatures are not as cold as yours, but I would not be that concerned with the cold temperatures. Mama has a nice down coat and a built in heater that never loses electricity. I don't know your specific set-up, but Mama should be able to handle the temperatures.

I'd guess you don't have much time to build anything or set anything up. Not sure how long you are going to be gone either. I'd really like to not have other hens laying under her because of the staggered hatch. Can you isolate the hen with a few eggs now where your chicken sitter only has to feed and water the broody, not look under her, but the other hens can't get to her? Or maybe just isolate the hen without eggs where the sitter just has to feed and water? She might be broken from being broody by the time you get back. A possible problem with these is whether the sitter would have to manage the poop build-up. Another option, if the sitter is not willing to look under her on a daily basis, is to toss all the eggs under her when you get back. That one does not feel right but it may be the best thing to do.

Good luck with this one. I'm not sure what I would do in your circumstances, probably isolate her with some eggs, but I want to hatch some eggs.

6. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I cant... I am on vacation next week, I am a 4 hour flight away, and I dont know if my animal sitter will be ok reaching under a broody hen for the eggs

I think I will have an early hatch this year.. I will remove the hen and eggs when I get back From Cuba. I already have my brooder set up in the basement for when I get back

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by