# of eggs per day???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Jan 2, 2010.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Do ducks ever lay more than 1 egg a day??? I have 7 ducks and there were 5 eggs in their house this morning. I know there weren't any there last night as I cleaned the pen out. I am hoping that I have 5 hens and two drakes. Do you think that would be an okay mix??? I think that two of my black runners are drakes and the four fawn/white and one black are females. What do the ducklings look like when there is a black and fawn and white mix??? The two black ones seem to get mouthy at each other... but haven't been physical... one is quite a bit smaller than the other.

2. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Okay - I guess I knew it was only one egg per day - but I just didn't think I could be fortunate enough to have that many hens. Yes!!!
    Does anyone have any answers to my other questions. - What happens when you mate a fawn/white and a black, because I think that the drakes are all black???

3. I'm not totally sure on the genetics, but I had fawn and white drakes and a chocolate hen, (chocolate and black are very close genetically). I got some pied and some blue.
    [​IMG]

4. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Well that sounds good - if they turn out as pretty as your duck that will be nice. I plan to take some of the eggs and hatch them in my classroom this spring. (if I can wait that long) Thanks!!!

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    As far as how many eggs per day; they are only supposed to lay one egg per day, at most, however I do have a Saxony hen who occasionally skips a day or two, then will lay 2 in one day. This is not normal, or desirable, but it does happen.( I only have 2 ducks, and my Appleyard hen lays a white egg, so I know it's my Sax doing double duty.)

Edited to ad that you can sex drakes by their 'drake feather'; a curled feather on the tail. Also, drakes have a much softer quack than the females. It sounds like more of a whisper.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i get zero [​IMG]

i still luv em

7. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    My 7 month old Welsh Harlequin female are averaging 2 a day... now this morning I only got one..

8. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:that is one seriously beautifully colored duck!

9. Thank you Tia and Bibliophile, she had just feathered in when it took that picture, some of the color and the penciling started to fade a bit over the summer. I wish I could have kept her but I don't have much space. [​IMG]

Pirtykitty were you getting two eggs a day from each duck?
    How many ducks were doing that?
    So what do you feed them and are they getting supplemental light?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by