# of eggs per day???

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
Do ducks ever lay more than 1 egg a day??? I have 7 ducks and there were 5 eggs in their house this morning. I know there weren't any there last night as I cleaned the pen out. I am hoping that I have 5 hens and two drakes. Do you think that would be an okay mix??? I think that two of my black runners are drakes and the four fawn/white and one black are females. What do the ducklings look like when there is a black and fawn and white mix??? The two black ones seem to get mouthy at each other... but haven't been physical... one is quite a bit smaller than the other.

Okay - I guess I knew it was only one egg per day - but I just didn't think I could be fortunate enough to have that many hens. Yes!!!
Does anyone have any answers to my other questions. - What happens when you mate a fawn/white and a black, because I think that the drakes are all black???

I'm not totally sure on the genetics, but I had fawn and white drakes and a chocolate hen, (chocolate and black are very close genetically). I got some pied and some blue.
16390_100_2473.jpg

Well that sounds good - if they turn out as pretty as your duck that will be nice. I plan to take some of the eggs and hatch them in my classroom this spring. (if I can wait that long) Thanks!!!

As far as how many eggs per day; they are only supposed to lay one egg per day, at most, however I do have a Saxony hen who occasionally skips a day or two, then will lay 2 in one day. This is not normal, or desirable, but it does happen.( I only have 2 ducks, and my Appleyard hen lays a white egg, so I know it's my Sax doing double duty.)

Edited to ad that you can sex drakes by their 'drake feather'; a curled feather on the tail. Also, drakes have a much softer quack than the females. It sounds like more of a whisper.

Last edited:
Thank you Tia and Bibliophile, she had just feathered in when it took that picture, some of the color and the penciling started to fade a bit over the summer. I wish I could have kept her but I don't have much space.
hit.gif

Pirtykitty were you getting two eggs a day from each duck?
How many ducks were doing that?
So what do you feed them and are they getting supplemental light?

Back
Top Bottom