Of Pellet Guns and Coons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Swamp Roo, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    It's been a terrible coon season so far this year. I shot 3 three of them at night before they started to wise up and did not make a dent in the population. So I started to set the live trap. I've taken 3 coons and one possum in four settings. Since I am dispatching (.22 LR HP in top of the head at point blank) them during daylight hours, I'm skinning them out. I hate waste, and this way something out of them can be used. Well the first one I skinned out had two holes in her. The holes were made by flat faced pellets (wad cutters) that were basically balled up from impact. Both were lodged just under the skin and had not even penetrated muscle. I can't be sure of the circumstances when the coon was shot, but she had a skin tear round her front paw that looked like a leg hold trap mark, and both holes were close together right behind the neck on the back. You'd have to be a heck of a shot to hit a coon twice in the back of the neck from any distance, especially since it would be hauling butt after the first one. I'd guess she was caught and then shot both times at pretty close range. She probably wrenched her paw loose and then got away. So the moral of the story? Well I know that not everyone has the ability to use a firearm and might use a pellet gun instead, I certainly would if that was all I had. If you must use a pellet gun please be sure of the gun, ammo, and your ability to place the shot precisely. Use a live trap if you can, the critter can't get out if the first shot doesn't put it down, and it will let you shoot from point blank. Well I'm off to set the trap again, the gators are getting hungry again...

Swamp

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Replying to bump. Surely we all prefer a clean kill if we are going to shoot!

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Can you come over? I could use your services! The only thing killing the raccoons in our area is cars. Plenty of fuzzy pancakes, but no one shoots them. Maybe they are just quiet about it...

4. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    Way to go Swamp! You have to start making coon skin caps and bringing them to the swap meets. You would sell out. I agree that you shouldn't shoot an animal unless you have the fire power to kill it. That is why I have an arsenal. [​IMG]

5. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Lil Chickie Mama: No problem, just fly me out there and provide a car/truck. I'll trap and shoot a mess of them. You'll never see me during the day either, I'd be fishing the Bay and Delta for stripers and the hills for trout. This could take a week or two of course, come to think of it, a month would be better.[​IMG]

Silentrunnings: I was actually thinking of making trim for a hat. The rest will be used for fly tying or just given away. Humm I could make saddles for the hens out of them. That would be ironic, a bit disturbing too. I treat my chickens so well I dress them in furs![​IMG]

All kidding aside I don't shoot anything lightly, I would love to live and let live...

BTW I'm baiting my trap with dry cat food. It actually falls through the wire trap, and the critters have to "work" at getting it. They practically tap dance on the trigger plate in the trap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by