Off balance, and I think she has rye neck.... Help!

Red101

Hatching
May 26, 2015
I have a almost year old Old English Dutch,
About a week ago she started limping, loosing balance, running in circles, and is holding her neck to one side.
hit.gif
sad.png

She is my show bird for 4-h and I am willing to do what ever to help her, right now she is inside and she is eating and drinking. PLZ HELP ME!!!

Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Wry neck is a symptom of a neurological problem that can be due to an injury, vitamin deficiency, or due to certain diseases such as Mareks and others. It can be hard to treat. I would put poultry vitamins in her water that contain Vitamin E, Vitamin B1 (thiamine,) and the mineral selenium. Poultry Nutri-drench has all of those, and you can feed 3 ml daily by mouth. Or use a poultry vitamin in the water, and give her some egg or tuna daily for selenium. Can she move both legs and wings? Could she have injured her leg and her head at the same time to cause this?

Thank you so much! I don't think she was vaccinated for Merak's but she doesn't have the signs of it. She moves both legs and wings fine she is just really off balance and weak, we found a recipe that gives her those vitamins and I give it to her 3 times a day (That's what the recipe said). I will get her vaccinated for Merak's, and any other thing my vet suggests. Do you think it could just be a parasite?

Her symptoms sound more like wry neck, and as said previously, can have many causes. Mareks vaccination is ideally given as a 1 day old chick in the hatchery where they have the more potent vaccines. If there is Mareks in your environment, she would have already been exposed. The vaccine won't hurt her, but comes in 1000 doses.

Back
Top Bottom