Off balance "drunk like" chick 4 weeks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrscrabtree92, Apr 3, 2016.

1. mrscrabtree92

mrscrabtree92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Ive had 3 chicks die in the last month one this morning that was very lethargic yesterday now one can barely walk walking like shes drunk falls over stumbles around someone please help im at a loss and dont know what to do

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    How old are the chicks? Medicated feed? Could it be coccidiosis? That would be the first thing to treat for. You need amprolium found in Corid for cattle.

3. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    Thata what im leaning toward theyre all on antibiotics oxytettacyclin vitamins probiotics and electrolytes since ones sneezing and runny nose and eye the one that was very lethargic just started 2 days ago and died this morning she was barely eating or drinkink and her poop was water but she could walk fine. This one isnt lethargic eating and drinking fine amd was fine this morning now all the sudden shes wobbly and walkong drunk then falls over. Could i give them corrid with the antibiotics i thought someone said you cant.

4. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    Should i seperate her ??

5. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    I'm not sure about the corid + antibiotics. Hopefully some one will look here to help. It's always a good idea to isolate sick birds. Sounds like you may have a respiratory disease going around, in which case antibiotics won't help (unless you are treating a secondary infection).

Need more info. Chicks' age, how many, where you got them, first sign of problems

Most respiratory diseases are highly contagious, so if you have other birds, they can be at risk. Some states offer free necropsies so you know what you are dealing with.

6. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    okay so we got our first chicks march 14th(we got6) they were a few days to a week old, one died out of that group about a week and a half later, we ended up with 3 roos so we took them back and exchanged them for pullets on the 26th of march and got a 4th one to relplace the one that died the ones we got that day were about 3-4 weeks old. the next day we had another die. we noticed one was sneezing and eye was crusty and watery so we got them on antibiotics this makes day 2 on that, yesterday one was very lethargic not eating much or drinking her poo was watery and tail and head down barely would move well that one died this morning. and now one from our original mar 14th group isn't walking straight keeps falling over but shes not acting lethargic and her poop is okay. we got all of them from the same person who is certified and had great reviews,

7. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Sorry to take so long to reply. Caught up researching some other stuff.

Have you contacted the breeder about this? The 10 days from when you got the replacement chicks until signs of respiratory problems is within the typical 7-10 days for viral incubation. There are some viruses they will survive, but will become carriers for life and pass it on to other birds. The latent virus shows up when birds are stressed, like when they are moved. Not saying this is coming from the breeder, but they should be able to help you. I did have a breeder sell me sick pullets one time. He did not know he had a problem until I called about the sneezing. He got lab results back (CRD), and we ended up culling the birds. [​IMG] I did not want my existing flocks to be infected and be carriers.

@casportpony Kathy, do you have any ideas for these sick chicks?

8. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    I have contacted her about all of this and she says that she doesn't understand why they are getting sick and none of the others are sick, she really hasn't been helpful

9. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    I cant find any information as to why this one would be walking weird though

10. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    That's too bad. Are the others sneezing or have crusty eyes?

I would go ahead and give Corid. The antibiotics are not going to help against a virus anyway. The corid works within the digestive system. It is a thymine blocker that kills the coccidia, and shouldn't interfere with the other meds. It will work very quickly and you will see improvement the next day, if that is indeed the problem. I'm not sure what you are dealing with.

There is something called stargazing, which is a vitamin deficiency. I suppose that could make them walk oddly.

I have tagged this to casportpony. She is great with poultry health problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by