1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Off balance Welsummer - getting picked on now too....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by looptloop, Dec 20, 2010.

1. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    1) What type of bird , age and weight ~ Welsummer hen, 48 weeks, weight appears normal

2) What is the behavior, exactly ~ off balance, sitting back on legs a little for balance

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms ~ noticed yesterday, but they have been in their coop for the weekend due to bad (rainy and windy) weather

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms~ no. I had a little special needs bantam that passed away yesterday, but I don't believe it is related

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma~ no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation ~ nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all~ I fixed her scrambled egg last night she ate fine when I brought it to her (she was already in bed).

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? Haven't seen poop, will have to watch her so I know what hers looks like.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far~ Cleaned all waterers, added Corid to water, also put separate water with sugar out for them

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? I would like to treat her at home if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition. N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use~ elevated chicken tractor with rice hulls for bedding.

I held her this morning and listened to her chest, no wheezing or rattling. I also quickly looked her over for mites, but don't see any evidence of them. They are molting, fluffing and shaking their feathers and not laying right now.

The other chickens started to pick on her this morning and she tried to fight back, but had to use her wing for balance.

I was scheduled to worm them (first time) with Wazine, but decided to wait since they are molting to reduce stress.

Please help!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I had two with same symptoms, treated them with vitamins and electrolytes and baby vitamins and all is good - not saying that's what it is - but maybe a deficiency?

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    aggree, vitamin def. can lead to sudden inability to walk. I had this happen to one of my hens, took about 10 days for her to get back to normal, but she has been fine since. I gave her vitamin B12 and vitamin E in her food and put electrolyte solution in her water. Isolate her from the others, as they will pick on her because they see she is different.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    High protein feed would help too. Vitamins works too!

Hope your Wellie girl will recover!

5. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Oh thank you for the replies! I'm upset that she is not doing well.....

Okay, what is a high protein feed? I'm feeding Layena - pls recommend a brand or type so I know what to look for.

What form does B12 come in? Powder or liquid? Vit E like for burns? Just drip on her feed?

How about electrolytes for her water? Is there a special kind to be looking for?

I'll head to the feed store in the morning based on what you all tell me to get, I hope she will be fine too!

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe check her ears to see if there is any redness or swelling where she might have been scratching due to an ear infection. If it was an ear infection you would need to give her antibiotics, but there may be no visible evidence.

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Sounds kinda like a coupling (not sure if that is the right spelling). Might go be a different name. It sometimes can be caused by a pinched nerve in the back, sometimes happens to hens after mating, and rooster if they spar on the yard. Also, this can be caused by predators and other elements. Mostly trauma to the back or breast.

Not saying that that is what it is, because there are other suggestions that are sound.

It is a good idea to supply supplements (especially if she is not eating).
    As far a vitamin deficiency....each individual chicken has individual needs and even with "complete" feeds they still don't receive sufficient amount. I know that some poultry information says not to mix "complete" feed, but I find in a necessity (especially during molt, egglaying, and other conditions)

Definitely isolate her form the others like tammye said.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Layena should be fine, if she's laying, if not, chick starter is good. I get the powdered vitamin and electrolytes frmo TSC, in a yellow bag, 1/4 tsp per gallon of water. Vitamins, go for baby vitamins, in the baby section of the drugstore, I got mine at Walmart, they had a sale buy one get one free. Liquid kind, with an eyedropper. I give my hens one dropper full twice a day. Not sure if you want to do both the vitamins AND the baby vitamins, it may be way too vitaminized (Not sure if that is a word) - in other words, it may be vitamin overkill. I would try one or the other, but not both.
    Good luck

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Flock Raiser

10. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    I thought about it last night and this is what I came up with:

By the time I go to the feed store to buy all the various things listed ($30-$35?), would I be better off taking her to the Dr, just in case this is not what is wrong with her? I called the vet this am, they will see her today, but it's $51.75 for an exam.

What would you do?

I have not had a chance to follow her around to see her poop, and she did eat the scrambled egg again this morning (drizzled with PolyViSol vitamins). If a vitamin deficiency and could take 5-10 days to see an improvement, it could be a death sentence if that isn't what it is.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by