off balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BetsyB3, Feb 3, 2009.

1. BetsyB3

BetsyB3 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    I seem to have a 6 month old chicken who is "off balance" all of the sudden. Should I be worried?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It could be a problem. Did she get a peck on the head? Could she have eaten anything funny (moldy, fermented). i had a silkie that got very off balance one day, stumbling, trying to keep herself steady with her wings on the ground. Took her inside and kept her quiet, with plenty of vitamin water and scrambled eggs. She was fine the next day. i have no idea what happened.

So, i suppose my only suggestion is to bring the chicken inside in a safe place. Keep it warm and quiet. Give it water and food. Put electrolytes in the water if you have them. Then give her a chance to recover.

i'm sure others will have better suggestions. But this will get you started.

3. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    What do you mean by vitamin water. The first thing that comes to mind to me is the colored drink - is this what you mean? If not, where could I get it?

Sorry for the lame question [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Sorry, gosh no, what i mean is some kind of poultry additive, like electrolytes you add to water or Avia Charge 2000. Feed stores carry packets of electrolyte solutions or they can be ordered from places online like Murray McMurray. This is my very favorite one to use. It has all kinds of great vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, etc.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/avian_charge_2000.html

5. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    Oh, that's what I thought, but just wanted to check! Thanks for the clarification.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by