1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Off Season Hatchery for egg layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by sweetrootfarm, Dec 10, 2015.

1. sweetrootfarm

sweetrootfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2015
    Greetings,

We are looking for a hatchery that can deliver some good egg layers at a reasonable price with hatch dates in December or January. Does anyone know of a source? As many of you know, most of the hatcheries consider this the off season or have a very limited number. I've found one hatchery in North Carolina that charges upwards of $6 for female red sex link. We are looking for about 100 of good egg layers, somewhere near half this price.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've checked all the major hatcheries (Cackle, Strombergs, Murray, etc.) and haven't found one.

Thanks,
    Noah

2. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I think Ideal Hatchery is still shipping some egg layers.

3. sweetrootfarm

Oct 28, 2015
    Thanks. Ideal is sold out of nearly everything. We are considering purchasing much more expensive stock locally so we won't be without them for the main market season.

4. sammerman

sammerman New Egg

Dec 9, 2015
    Try Privett Hatchery, which claims to hatch weekly (all year). Download the price list .pdf to find the breed names most likely to be available. The two groups of common breeds also seem to have decent laying reputations. You'll probably have to call or fax.

Privett delivers robust, sturdy chicks from Portales, New Mexico. I've had good results. Only once I had 4 or 5 mystery chicks, most of which appeared to be rarer breeds: 2 slate legs, 1 willow legs, etc. Trying to pinpoint their IDs was fun They made nice gifts.

Sammerman
    Stonefield Sheep

5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Central Hatchery ships all winter--I think you need to order 50 minimum and they have a small selection of production birds.

Looks to me like Ideal has Sex Links and Easter Eggers available, maybe others. Sometimes it's easier to just call them to find out what's available for your desired ship date.

ETA: and I agree--my birds from Privett were good hatchery birds. Some breeds were better than others like any hatchery--the Silver Laced Wyandotte was big and beautiful, the Dark Brahma wasn't any bigger than the California White.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Privett does not carry red sex links but does have black and gold. $2.40/100. I have bought their chicks Christmas week from the feed store.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  7. brideofchaos

brideofchaos Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Edgewood, NM
    I know Ideal has large Ameraucanas right now and some other egg layers. :)

8. gypsy767

gypsy767 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia

Townlinehatchery.com in MI will begin shipping ISA browns jan 19th 2016. I am just about to order some. The ISA brown supplies 60% of the worlds brown egg market. The ISA brown is a red sexlink and prolific layer of large to extra large brown eggs up to 320 per year. The price for 100 chicks is $2.10 each. Hope this helps.

9. sweetrootfarm

Oct 28, 2015
    Thank
    Thanks; this does help. We raised 70+ sex link that we are currently culling. We had excellent results. I agreed to purchase birds locally at a premium price, also sex links, in order to have eggs at the first farmers market. Raising them in the cold shop is hard, but we've got heat lamps on them. Ideal also has some sex link I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by