Off the 'beak-en' path

WaspSlayer

Songster
Jul 21, 2020
I am a new flock owner. One of my chicks has a twisted beak, and this morning I noticed it has gotten worse. I've heard of "scissor beak" and it looks as though this is the path my chick will be going. "Billie" is doing fine, for now, but I can foresee more problems down the road; I do not want to deal with that, because I did not decide to raise chickens as pets. So, in order to alleviate suffering on both mine & Billie's behalf, at what age should I process him/her for meat? He/she is currently about 2 months old.
I have pics if need be)

Thank you!

I'm not sure of the breed. This was thrown upon me. By what I've read, I think it's a Red Sexlink (but of which breeds, I don't know.
Here are some pics. Billie is half white, and half red. Odd chick for sure!
So, perhaps wait for another month? I don't mind making sure he is well taken care of, I just dont want to wait until the meat is too tough to enjoy. Since, i am new to all this, i don't know when that is.
20200910_103435.jpg
20200910_103746.jpg
Screenshot_20200910-104531_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20200910_103435.jpg
    20200910_103435.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 1
So, when should I serve Billy for supper?
How do you want to cook him?
If frying 12-14 wks,
At 16 wks to 6 months, I usually put the whole dressed and rested bird in a roaster with a tight fitting lid. Some celery carrots onions garlic and a cup of water. Maybe potatoes... Roast until cooked

Billy is not going to get very big, I process unwanted cockerels young, 10 - 12 weeks. They have not eaten a lot of food by that time, and you get a bird young enough to BBQ. Check for pinfeathers if you like to eat the skin. You can feel them they are new feathers growing in and are difficult to get plucked. Split in half serves 2. When he is 2 - 2 1/2 lbs is big enough, especially if he is having trouble eating/growing and is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom