Off the nest on hatch day?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eric R, May 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM.

1. Eric R

Eric R Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Is it ok for a broody to be off the nest on hatch day? I peaked at the eggs really quick and 2 were in the process of zipping. Humidity is 54 outside so not sure if that's ok.

2. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    A hen should not be off the nest once the chicks have externally pipped. It is critical at this stage that the eggs are covered not only to maintain humidity but to protect and heat the chicks once they emerge from the shell. Once zipping starts a chick can be out of there in minutes and will chill very quickly if not covered by a hen.

Eric R likes this.
  3. Eric R

Eric R Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    She went back in after about 5 minutes. Hopefully that didn't ruin her hatch.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They should be fine. She knows far more about being a chicken than we do.

5. Eric R

Eric R Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Well she's back off again. She has 10 eggs so let's see if and how many hatch.

chickens really likes this.
  6. Eric R

Eric R Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Well she has not gotten off the eggs since but I'm not hearing anything from her nest. I am guessing that the eggs that were zipping may have not made it. IMaybe got shrink wrapped when she got off. t's a shame because she seems to be really committed now.

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Keep waiting...Give her a couple of days. My Hens both Chicken and Duck have gotten off the nest on hatch day and zero issues. Best wishes..
    Hopefully you have her separated from the flock during the hatching process..:frow

Eric R likes this.
  8. Eric R

Eric R Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    She is separated. I just figured the zippers would have hatched by now and would be making noise.

chickens really likes this.
  9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well many times I hear nothing till the Chicks pop their little heads out. I have used a long stick to poke my Hen because once she moves the babies peep. Hopefully she didn't kill them as they began to hatch...

Eric R likes this.
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don’t always hear the chicks under mama when they’ve hatched. After all, they’re safe and warm so they have no reason to complain.

chickens really and Eric R like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: