Off to a BLAZING start! Six days. Six eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bertman, Sep 22, 2011.

1. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    And that's from the youngest of our six pullets, Goldie the Golden Sex Link. [​IMG]

Is this normal or did we just get lucky? Is it possible that another of the girls is laying but not squatting?

The other pullets are a week older than her at 24 weeks, but Goldie started squatting on Labor Day. She gave us our first egg on Saturday. Now every day we have had another cute little pullet egg. My wife had two of them boiled on a sandwich this morning and said they are delicious. I'll be sampling them this weekend.

Maybelline, one of the Ameraucanas, has been squatting for about five or six days so I'm hoping she'll give us some Easter eggs in a day or two. She has been really nasty to the other girls, pecking them on the roost.

Another Ameraucana has a bright red comb, as does our New Hampshire Red. But neither has started squatting yet.

This is really exciting. I'm like a kid every day when I come home from work and let the girls out for their free-range time. In addition to having those great eggs, the next best part is that Goldie is so friendly now. She hangs around me when I come into the run and just talks her little head off until I reach down and pet her--of course, she's squatting like crazy. Before she would not let me pet her at all.

Thank you to everyone on this site for all the excellent information about these cool birds.

[​IMG]

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    They are cool, aren't they?[​IMG]

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Not all will squat. My two now both squat, but both waited until after they had started laying.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    When my RSL started laying, they were very regular with nearly 1 eggs daily for weeks. But it's also hard to tell if 1 is laying consistently or several are laying inconsistently. If the eggs are varied in size and color, may be more than one laying.

5. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Thanks for the info about the squatting.

Today was day seven and we had another egg in the box. [​IMG]

I'm going to build another nest box and put it in the coop--just in case. The one I have is a sheetrock bucket with straw in it. Due to the rounded sides there is not really enough room for two birds to move around in it (at least, that's what I am imagining), so maybe having another box will encourage some more participants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by