Off to a Rocky Start in Nashville

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by formerpeacock, Sep 19, 2016.

1. formerpeacock

formerpeacock New Egg

Sep 19, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and (sort of new) to owning chickens. I had backyard chickens growing up but have just know tried it on my own. I purchased two laying chickens (Golden Comets) from someone on Craigslist. I've been feeding and keeping their coop clean and supplying fresh water but one has been sleeping a lot for the past several days yesterday died. So not off to great start.

I've had them 3 weeks and still no eggs so I'm not sure if the chickens were older and/or I'll when I got them. Obviously I'm hoping to improve going forward and looking forward to learning from all of you! I appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, formerpeacock, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Hens usually take a awhile to resume laying after an anxiety producing event - such as a move. Still, after two weeks they should have acclimated and started to lay. I wonder if it's as you say - maybe someone pawned off some out-of-their-prime hens. If they are older than two-three years they will have greatly reduced their frequency...but you should still be getting an occasional egg. Hope they turn it around!

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Sorry you are having issues with them, I would try giving them fennel (Laying stimulant). Good luck with them!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I do hope the non-egg laying is merely a blip, rather than anything else.

Good luck
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your hens. Those sexlinks should be laying. Age? Health? I never buy from anyone that allows you to go .. into the chicken area. Watch the chickens when you go to buy. Are they pecking around looking for food? Or, are they just sitting there all fluffed up..so many things to watch for. Best thing to me..still..if they don't want you to go back into the chicken area..but..will have them where you can watch them from behind a fence/gate..distance. This shows me that they want to keep their chickens well..you may not have chickens with an illness, but they don't know this. I don't let folks into my chickens space. I haven't had a problem with them giving me a hard time about it. They understand. Even if they don't have chickens I don't let folks back into their space. Keeps them safe from possible illness. Good luck on getting some good layers. I personally don't buy chickens from others any longer..I hatch my own though! [​IMG]

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Sorry for your loss. You'll want to get some replacements for the bird you lost, as your remaining bird is surely quite lonely!

There are lots of factors that affect laying. Weather, age, stress. A move is very stressful and although most birds will be over it in a few weeks, some can take upwards of a month. It's also molting season, and birds do not lay while in a molt. If it's particularly hot or cold or wildly flucuating in temperature in your area, that can affect laying too.

10. formerpeacock

formerpeacock New Egg

Sep 19, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    I've wondered the same about someone pawning off older hens. Is that common? Regardless I'll be much more careful who I buy from in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by