1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Off to Party America for some Mylar balloons for hawk deterrent!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChooksChick, Nov 7, 2009.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    A Ferruginous Hawk has decided that this part of town is an excellent place to pick off dinner. Unfortunately it killed one of my birds (though it didn't get to eat it) and has been coming around for several days.

Instead of buying a three-pack of the Scary Eyes balloons and waiting for them to arrive, etc., I'm off to buy some plain Mylar balloons so I can paint scary eyes on them myself!

It ought to work well, assuming the product exists because it works, right?

Here's the real thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-SE-PAC-Scare-Balloon-3-Pack/dp/B000QUWTS0

2. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I got 4 balloons and posted them around the yard...dunno if it makes a difference yet, but I can say that electrical tape won't work for eyes, as it compromises the buoyancy too much...

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I use scare tape. Same reflectiveness of mylar balloons, but cheaper.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I use shiny pinwheels, buy 'em for a buck at WalMart. I've attatched 18" lengths of .5" PVC upright on the ends of the chicken pen posts, then insert the sticks of the pinwheels in them. That way they not only spin 'round & 'round, but also swivel with the wind.

A neighbor who raises pigeons puts mirrors up on the tops of his coops as a hawk deterrant.

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Am I the only one who uses ugly stuffed animals as "scare-hawks?" I have 2 large tigers with their teeth showing, and a warthog with tusks. (seriously) I move them around everyday so the hawks don't get used to them.

6. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Oh, my gosh! You guys have great ideas! I think the stuffed animals would get odd looks from passing traffic...but would be effective! I should put the big stuffed animals my kids are done with out there!

7. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Well, I see the hawk around, but it hasn't gone near our yard since the balloon monsters moved in! I tied them to chairs and move the lawn chairs daily. It works!!

8. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by