Off to the dog show!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bwebb7, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    This is a five day show-we are showing 3 days I hope to get my big guy done! Its majors all weekend and we could use a break!
    My sister was hospitalized so we were unable to leave today and show Thursday so we'll have the weekend! I'm so sure that it's a very tough cluster.
    wish us luck

(my sisters mastiff's only litter was born last year and one of her puppy buyers got in a financial bind and relocated from Fl to Ohio,
    in the meantime (as a good breeder and as stipulated in her contract) the puppy she had, came back to my sister. They are set up and doing ok in Ohio now and will meet us in Raleigh NC to collect their puppy. My sister got him back in October-so 6 months is a real committment to that puppy.

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh wow! YOU GOT TO POST PICS! Squee I always love watching dog shows! GOOD LUCK

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Wow, good luck at the shows, we are almost singled out and will just be looking for majors. At least 3 times our major didn't hold - so we just keep trying!

4. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    you are right about the pics-I need to put the memory card back in the camera.
    I need a major and 2 singles-unless he wins Sat its a 5 point major
    He's a really nice dog but hates attention! He just won't "wink" at a judge! One judge said "he looks so sad"!
    But he'll finish I know![​IMG]

5. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    good luck at the show, my brindle boy has 2 points, he's got beautiful structure but it's hard to finish a dachshund of color, seems red is the key with most judges, i have a cream male that is 6 months old that i'm waiting for the coat to come in a little better before he goes out, it's a very expensive hobby, but is worth it when you win [​IMG]

6. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Thanks everyone! I guess 2nd is ok! But we were consistant! I guess. His class was the biggest and he finished 2nd all three days. The one he finished 2nd to the first two days finished and then the same handler got on a brindle that we placed ahead of the first two days and the we finished second to him:(
    I have this dog because I thought it would be so fun to show and it is but, dang it is tempting to hire a handler and finish him!

7. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Do not get discouraged! I know that sometimes it feels like you will never get them finished, I have been there. It took me over a year to finish my pup in AKC, and I got a lot of crap for being a junior handler in the breed ring. I now go online and check to see if the judge is political and to see what type of dog the judge normally puts up before entering - I've saved a lot of money by doing this. Just remember you get to take home the best prize every day, you get to take home you dog [​IMG]. Eventually, you'll stop getting the 2nd places, and you will start getting the 1st places [​IMG]. With my guy, I kept getting reserve winners dog, and then eventually we went on a winning streak. I finished him with 4 majors (no single points what so ever) in AKC, and then finished him in 3 weekends in UKC, and 2 weekend in CKC. But it took forever to finally get there! You will get there eventually, until then - just have fun with you dog [​IMG]

Edited to add: Keep showing him yourself, the joy of finishing your dog all by yourself is like no other! I was around 13 years old when I got my AKC Champion on my boy, and I almost started crying (I have never cried from being so happy before...). It is totally worth it in the end. Just keep your head up high [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Thanks! I know he'll finish and he protects my chickens, so I already have the prize! I've never been to a UKC show but may look into that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by