Off-topic Freecycle

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by farmgirlie1031, Jul 11, 2008.

1. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I think they stink. I have been getting their daily e-mails and then when I thought of something I may need and am sure someone may not want they refuse to let me ask for it [​IMG] I will unsubsribe now. It's not worth it.

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I know some of them have something where you have to offer things first before you can go on asking for things.

3. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I don't know. All I know is there are a ton of begging college students on the one I was subscribed to. I'll just ask my Grandmother to get me a sewing machine at a garage sale. She sees them all the time and used to say I needed one but I always told her no thanks. Now I really do want one. Nothing fancy just something I can make tote bags and other craft items with.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    You asked for a sewing machine? and they said no?

that is strange..

5. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Oh no! I'm so bummed to hear about bad experiences with freecycle! I love freecycle.org - I belong the the West Bend, WI one. I have met so many awesome people! I have received a sewing machine, sewing cabinet, electronics, kids stuff, etc. and I have given away health and beauty products, old Christmas decorations and other household stuff, baby clothes, diapers, and most recently, 2 of my wonderful, sweetie pie baby roos! One was a buff orpington and one was a silver laced wyandotte. The lady that picked them up lives a few miles away and is keeping them for pets. (I am so happy I met her!) The group in my area does not even require that you give something away first, but the one in Waukesha, WI does. I think each one is a little different with their rules, but I love it and have only been a member for about 6 months. I was turned on to it by my aunt who received milking equipment and other farm related things from her freecycle group. Maybe you could give it another chance. So many people find good homes for thier pets too using freecycle too. I love helping people out who are really in need. I'm sure some people take things just to sell them on ebay, but I think it mostly helps people, like the family I gave some diapers and clothes to. Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with it! [​IMG]

6. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:I thought it would be fun but I see a ton of begging going on and even though I am suppossed to get a daily digest I don't get them all the time. I'm bad about reading rules though. Maybe there was a rule I must give away something first. I could give a rooster. LOL

7. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Could be coincidence, but when I unsubscribed to freecycle the amount of spam I got was reduced by about 90%.

8. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Hmm??? I get up to 900 spam in one day. That may be a great idea. Thanks. I left one of the groups but there's another one further away from home I joined recently that didn't seem as bad so I am staying there for awhile and will see what happens. [​IMG] I think the one had issues being in a large college city.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

We get the beggars here too...
    On both of mine, you have to post an Offer first, then you can post a Want.
    I just got XL twin sheets for the hospital bed we renting for DH after his hip replacement.
    And I just got rid of some old material, shoes, photo albums and a badminton set.
    I've been decluttering the house to get ready for this fiasco...I'm a Flybaby too.

I even got another Freecycler into chickens.[​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Yeah, I use it, too, although that isnt to say I love it. You gotta stick with it. You may just be up againt the OFFER FIRST - ASK LATER bit.

Just wait until you get the 'freebie folks' who have no respect, won't come get items (or expect you to bring them to them) and only want you to give them stuff so they can resell it at the flea market.

But I can live with self indulgent idiots in general; the world is full of 'em, after all. You learn to deal, you know?

No, what I really dont like are a lot of stentorious rules over every little thing - and they are really bad about that. Seems like every time I turn around, I've violated some trivial little fussbudget guideline of theirs. For the longest time all I ever got from them was:

"POST DENIED. Please see the terms of service, etc...."

For crying out loud, I just want to give away some crap. You'd think I was violating the Geneva Convention or something.

Makes me think their watchdogs, unlike OUR wonderful fair-minded mods, need to get a life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by