1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Off-topic---kitchen knats-Help!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JudyMcKinn, Jul 23, 2008.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Seems like I read on here last year about kitchen knats--the ones that hover over your bananas or peaches in a fruit bowl. Seems like it was said that you could put some apple cider vinegar and a little dish detergent in a little glass, and they would flock to it and drown themselves?? Apparently there is something wrong with my recipe, as the knats are setting on the lip of the glass, but no one is taking the plunge. Can anyone help me--I have enough that they are getting tiresome. Must be worse because of our wet weather, or something.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I haven;t had any yet this year, but one year a few years ago my DD left a banana in her bedroom trash can and then left to camp for a week! [​IMG] [​IMG] :| :mad: Talk about a mess!!!!! I was so mad! But, we eventually sucked them all up with the vacuum. I'd love to know of a recipe to trap them in case someone leaves fruit in their paper trash again!

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried making the paper funnel and putting it into the vinegar, and.....nothing happened. I had jars of vinegar all over the house and the flies just lignored them.

I'm with Angie: the vacuum cleaner is definitely the best way to get them up and out. I had to go back after them every day for a few days, but eventually I won...

Just suck 'em right up....

Susan

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    the inverted funnel should not touch the vinegar, leave at least 1/8 of an inch to surface. It will work great.

5. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Would someone please explain the inverted funnel a little better? Thanks.
    But the vacuum sounds like a good idea, also. I will try anything.

6. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I've tried the vinegar, but find that red wine in a small saucer works best. I put some out on the kitchen counter at the first sign of fruit flies. The ones that don't get "drunk" and drown are easily vacuumed or swatted with a folded newspaper. The problem is usually solved in about 2-3 days.

The added benefit is that DH and I have a glass of wine with our dinner, or I use it to cook with. [​IMG]

7. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I don't think they much of a lifespan. If you remove all food sources (don't overlook flour and grain in the pantry) to the trash or refridgerator/freezer, they should go away. You might also want to try buying your fresh produce at another store.

8. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Try covering the dishes of vinegar with some plastic wrap, secure it with a rubber band and poke some little holes in it. That way they get trapped. Always works for me.

9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:We had really good luck with the vinegar!! We put the vinegar in the bottom of a glass quart jar and then you make a funnel out of paper and put inside it, you do not have the funnel touching the vinegar. It really worked well for us.

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Here's what I do and it works GREAT:

* Take a small water glass (any size, actually) and put in about 1" of apple cider vinegar. I used glass, not plastic.
    * Put a drop of soap in it.
    * Fill the rest of the way - carefully - with water.
    Once the bubbles go down, the fruit flies will land on the surface of the liquid. Because there is no surface tension, they drop like stones to the bottom. You don't need a funnel or anything else.

I caugh over 50 flies the first night I did this. [​IMG] I had no idea there were so many of the little buggers.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by