Offended much????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pattgal, May 25, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    i posted an ad on kijiji this morning that i was looking for a meat grinder. I posted this ad in the Livestock section because I can only imagine how this would have turned out in the animals accessories along with the dog leashes and and cute animal clothing. Lol.
    I now realize that I could have posted in the "home and garden" section but that section is really to vast and unspecific and the ad would get buried to the 5th page within a day anyway. So to be fair the people who raise livestock would be the best and quickest way to find out where to find a good meat grinder
    Well someone got offended and had my post removed.
    This is the rebuttal i sent back to kijiji to put my ad back up

"I posted an ad in the livestock category because it did not really fit into the pets, accesories category. I was thinking people might get really offended i I posted looking for a meat grinder in the cats section or with the other animals accesories along with dog leashes and litter boxes. where as in the livestock this is completely normal.
    Livestock are not pets they are utility animals. maybe people should also include where they think the post should fit if they are not happy with where it is
    Just my thoughts."

2. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Songster

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    That is strange. [​IMG] I think it makes okay sense in the livestock section...although home & garden would be better. Can you repost it now?

3. pattgal

pattgal Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Yes i supose i could just put it right back up. (and see how long that one would last)
    Someone did answer it during the short time that it was up and told me to check out princess auto.
    I just like to keep it up anyway because the first answer is not always the best one. [​IMG]

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    We bought our first meat grinder at either Walmart or Lowe's. I'm not sure. It's a Waring Pro, 150watt grinder, pictured here: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=6382&src=GoogleBase&cam=Products&kw=6382 ,
    with 3 different size grinding plates. It works well, we've ground a lot of meat with it. The trick is to cut the meat in short strips, to feed through. That works better and faster than chunks.

Likewise with our new grinder, which is:

an attachment on a Kitchenaide stand mixer.

We moved up to that because we make our own sausage, and I wanted something to make mixing the seasonings in easier. I use the dough hook for mixing the meat and spices, it works a lot better than what they recommend, which is the regular mixer blade. (The meat just clumps in a big lump on that blade, and doesn't get mixed.)

I got the mixer on the Kitchenaide website, in the refurbished section, here: http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/sub_category.asp?HDR=OUTLET&CAT=outletrefurb
    LOTS cheaper that way. It's a 6 QT, it may be this model, I'm not sure.
    http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/product_detail.asp?T1=KTA KP26M1XER&mybuyscid=6436427404
    If you want something that they don't currently have in refurb, if you keep checking, they get stuff in pretty often. We saved over $200 getting a refurb instead of new. The grinder attachment we had to buy separately, and purchase new, but they do get those in refurb now and then. I needed it for deer season, so I went ahead and bought one. We got something else along with it, I forget what, to qualify for free shipping.

The mixer is something like 575 watts, so a lot more oomph than the Waring, and a little faster grinding, though not much. But it doesn't bog down, either. You do have to watch for bones and gristle, which will not go through. From time to time, with both grinders, you need to open it up and remove fibers that come from tendons and such, that tend to collect and wrap around the blades. Anytime it starts to sound or feel different, I take the front piece off and clear the blades.

The grinding plates on both will rust if left wet, and bleach will corrode them. So you have to be sure you dry them well after you wash them, and we coat them with a thin layer of cooking oil or lard, so they don't rust.

Does that help any? I'm certainly not offended that you asked!

5. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I've had a similar problem with kijiji about something else. I was very ticked, it got reported for no reason, Post again IMO!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by