Offer oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reinbeau, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Since we've finally had our first lovely little pullet egg, should I now offer them some crushed oyster shell, just to make sure they have enough calcium? They were switched to layer feed two weeks ago, so that's covered, but I just wanted to be sure I should offer the oyster shells, too - I do have a bag already.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Go ahead and offer it. They'll start eating it up when they need it. Congrats on the egg!!!!

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Yep put it in a bowl or a different feeder and let it out so they can have some whenever they want some. Thats what I do with mine, I mix the shell and grit together in a different feeder and let them have free excess to it.................

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, you can go ahead and provide it for the girls. Chances are, they won't consume alot of it in the beginning, until they become more stressed from contant laying. Then they will eat it like candy.

bigzio

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

This is what I love about this forum, I post and look away for a minute, and there are three great answers in a blink of an eye!

I will put the oyster shell into the little chick feeder they started out with. That should work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by